This course provides an overview of trends and best practices in corporate communications relating to sustainability, with a particular focus on global sustainability reporting frameworks and responsible marketing communications. This implies understanding the marketplace, consumers, the nature of and purpose of products and services, as well as, reporting and communication strategies.
During their programme, students of the LSM Master's in management and Master's in Business engineering will have developed the following capabilities'
- Demonstrate independent reasoning,look critically and consciously acquired knowledge (both academic and common sense) and managerial practices, in light of emerging circumstances and their outcomes.
- Decide and act by incorporating ethical and humanistic values, integrity, respect for the laws and conventions, solidarity and civic action, and sustainable development.
- Decide and act responsibly, while taking into account the social, economic and environmental sometimes antinomic, outcomes in the short, medium and long term, for the various stakeholders.
KNOWLEDGE AND REASONING
- Master highly specific knowledge in one or two areas of management : advanced and current research-based knowledge and methods.
INNOVATION AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP
- ldentify new opportunities, propose creative and useful ideas; insituations that require new strategic approaches, break with existing models and paradigms, promote progress and change.
La contribution de cette UE au développement et à la maîtrise des compétences et acquis du (des) programme(s) est accessible à la fin de cette fiche, dans la partie « Programmes/formations proposant cette unité d’enseignement (UE) ».
This course is designed for those who hold/will hold positions in organizations with responsibilities for communicating the sustainability goals, challenges and achievements, as well as accurately and honestly communicating the environmental and social aspects of an organization’s products and services.
This course provides an overview of trends and best practices in corporate communications related to sustainability, with a particular focus on global sustainability reporting frameworks and responsible marketing communications.
Attitudes and behaviors around sustainable consumption will be explored, as well as, when, if, and how sustainability aspects should be communicated to consumers. Aspects of the marketing mix, such as product features, pricing, distribution, and promotions that influence consumer demand for sustainable products and services will be analyzed
- Interactive class discussions of concepts and company cases;
- Conferences by practitioners;
des acquis des étudiants
Continuous assessment (65%)
- Readings of scientific papers in the field and active debate during class (20%)
- Preparation of conferences by practitioners (10%)
- Teamwork by group of 4 or 5 students: Written paper OR video on a company case (35%)
Individual final exam (35%)
- If you failed in the continuous assessment, you have to give a written report (15 pages) (65%) (if you passed the continuous evaluation, we keep your mark)
- If you failed at the written exam in June, you have to pass a written or oral exam (depending on the number of students concerned) in September (if you passed the exam in June successfully, we keep your mark) (35%)
At the end of the course, you should be able to:
- Understand the differences between a stand-alone report, a combined report and an integrated report,
- Assess the quality of a stand-alone/combined/integrated report,
- Reconcile multiple stakeholders’ interests (and understand the importance of doing so), into a clear, persuasive, smart action and communication plan,
- Recognize the risks associated to greenwashing, as well as the opportunities related to a strong communication strategy,
- Adopt a critical perspective on managerial communication and reporting practices related to social issues.
Moodle of the course
MOOC on "Communicating Corporate Social Responsibility": https://www.edx.org/course/communicating-corporate-social-louvainx-louv12x-1
See in Moodle