Basics of marketing
innovative techniques that make it possible to analyze consumers' 'non-conscious' perceptions.
This course also addresses fascinating technological developments related to virtual reality. These technologies create an immersive experience of products, ads, points of sale or other relevant environments (e.g. holiday or leisure locations). They offer huge opportunities for marketing in the very near future. Therefore, virtual reality has recently been proclaimed as the most promising emerging technology for businesses to gain a competitive advantage
On the methodological level, this course is mainly based on the experimental approach, largely used in marketing studies dealing with cognitive neurosciences or virtual reality. This approach typically consists of manipulating a marketing concept in a laboratory or in a natural environmentwhile removing the influence of any other factor.This allows the analysis of the causal impact of the manipulated factor (e.g. packaging, design, point of sale, etc.) on various consumers' reactions (e.g. emotions, beliefs, behaviors). This approach is therefore highly valuable for understanding and optimizing the impacts that marketing decisions have on consumers. For this reason, the experimental approach is attracting an increasing interest from companies.
- Mastering knowledge (2.1, 2.2, 2.4)
- Applying a scientific approach (3.1, 3.2, 3.4, 3.5)
- Managing teamwork (6.1)
- Communicating (8.1)
Students will able to :
- Understand how modern marketing can take advantage of recent developments in neurocognitive sciences, as well as the advantages and disadvantages associated with different techniques involved.
- Understand how perceptions and behaviors may be shaped by 'non-conscious' influences related to multiple factors.
- Develop a critical look at influence processes that can be used to the detriment of consumers (ethical issues and consumer protection).
- Be familiar with benefits that new immersive technologies (related to augmented and virtual reality) can offer when it comes to analyzing and optimizing consumers' experience and reactions.
- Be familiar with the experimental approach (basics, advantages, limitations, etc.) and understand its benefits compared to other research methods.
- Judge the interest of using an experimental approach (in laboratory or natural environment) in the context of a specific marketing issue.
- Design an appropriate experimental approach to examine consumers' reactions towards a marketing concept.
- Convert the results from an experimental study into guidelines for marketing decisions and strategies.
La contribution de cette UE au développement et à la maîtrise des compétences et acquis du (des) programme(s) est accessible à la fin de cette fiche, dans la partie « Programmes/formations proposant cette unité d’enseignement (UE) ».
* Presentation of basic principles of the experimental approach, which are essential to be able to define and implement a research design that allows for analyzing the influence of specific factors on consumers’ reactions.
* Comparison between studies in laboratory and studies in natural settings
* Overview of techniques drawn from the field of neurosciences that allow for analyzing consumers’ reactions (basic principles, advantages, disadvantages, etc.).
* Presentation of immersive technologies and of their contribution in the context of various marketing issues (e.g. product development, virtual stores, advertising, experiential marketing).
* Analysis of experimental studies in such a way to illustrate  the basic principles of the approach;  potential contributions from neurosciences and immersive technologies;  various influencing actors, such as design elements (e.g. shapes, colors, images, visual complexity) or sensory elements (e.g. music, smells, lighting, colors; “sensory marketing”).
Lectures on theoretical/methodological inputs (with practical illustrations), case studies, scientific articles.
des acquis des étudiants
Group work (applying the concepts in the context of concrete marketing issues).
- Slides (Moodle)
- Inputs on scientific articles and books will be provided.