A la fin de cette unité d’enseignement, l’étudiant est capable de :
During their programme, students of the LSM Master¿s in management or Master¿s in Business engineering will have developed the following capabilities¿
KNOWLEDGE AND REASONING
INNOVATION AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP
WORK EFFECTIVELY IN AN INTERNATIONAL AND MULTICULTURAL ENVIRONMENT
TEAMWORK AND LEADERSHIP
La contribution de cette UE au développement et à la maîtrise des compétences et acquis du (des) programme(s) est accessible à la fin de cette fiche, dans la partie « Programmes/formations proposant cette unité d’enseignement (UE) ».
Context. E-commerce has been profoundly disrupted over the last decade by the increased adoption of platform-based business models. As an illustration, the five largest companies in the world by market capitalization today are Apple, Google, Microsoft, Amazon, and Facebook, which have all adopted, either from the start or later on, a platform-based business model. Platforms can be defined as entities that enable interactions among users and generate value from these interactions. In contrast with traditional firms (also called ‘pipelines’), which create value in a linear way using their own staff and assets, platforms create value in a more circular way by facilitating the interaction between different groups of external and independent participants. Not only do platforms represent a large share of the global economy, but they also pervade our everyday lives. So far, however, the existing literature in management has failed to provide both professionals and students with appropriate tools to understand, in a thorough and scientifically sound way, the business models that may make those platforms successful. This course aims at filling the gap by providing students with a set of practical tools that will allow them to design strategies adapted to the specificities of platforms.
Aims and objectives. At the end of the course, students should be able to (i) master an array of specific concepts from strategic management and industrial organization, so as to (ii) understand how digital platforms operate and what sets them apart from other business, and (iii) apply this knowledge to design their own venture.
En raison de la crise du COVID-19, les informations de cette rubrique sont particulièrement susceptibles d’être modifiées.The course will be organized according to the flipped-classroom method. Every week, students will be exposed to learning material online, which they will cover at their own pace. They will prepare, individually, a number of learning activities, aimed at making them engage with the material. In parallel, students will develop, in groups, their own project of platform. They will also present their work in progress, every Tuesday, to the teaching staff.
des acquis des étudiants
En raison de la crise du COVID-19, les informations de cette rubrique sont particulièrement susceptibles d’être modifiées.The final grade in this course will be based on grades in three activities:
- A group project (40%): Working in groups, the task will be to design a digital platform whose objective is to help mitigating the damages of climate change.
- Individual assignments and class participation (40%):
- Each week, individual activities (e.g., quizzes, small exercises, applications of concepts, etc.) will be assigned and graded;
- Each Tuesday, members of the teaching staff will talk with each group separately (using Teams); the group will present what they did for the group activities that were assigned for that week; time will also be used to answer questions about the material and to discuss the progress in the group project; the quality of the interaction will be graded;
- A final written examination (20%): the exam will cover the entirety of the material and will be organized in the two regular exam sessions (June and August/September). The purpose of the exam is to check the students’ understanding of the main theoretical concepts covered in the course. The exact format of the exam (written or oral, in-person or online) will be decided in due time, in strict accordance with the health rules and special provisions that will be in force.