1 basic marketing course
This course will tackle the new challenges that marketers have to meet when designing their marketing strategy in the fast-changing digital landscape. The new digital environment had a major impact on consumers' habits and needs. As a result, the way to understand the way to understand, communicate and reach consumers has changed dramatically. Companies have now to be in contact with the consumer wherever he is, on whatever devices he uses and at any moment of the day. Traditional marketing is over and a series of new marketing concepts need to be understood to be effective in this new environment.
Moreover, companies need to be able to manage, analyse and take actions on big data generated. This has an impact on the way companies should manage and structure their marketing department. This is complex and requires new skills that companies do not always have.
The objectives of the course are to:
- Review the latest changes affecting the marketing strategy ( situation analysis, segmentation and positioning)
- Understand how the marketing organization has to be adapted to take into account the new digital environment
- Review how to manage brands in this new environment taking into account traditional and digital marketing tools.
On successful completion of this program, each student will acquire the following skills :
- Knowledge and reasoning
- Project management
- Communication and interpersonal skills
Leadership and team work
The course will help students to :
- Understand how marketing must change in light of the new digital landscape,
- Review how to strategically manage brands in this new digital environment
- Learn how to develop a marketing strategy and plan taking into account traditional and new digital tools.
The contribution of this Teaching Unit to the development and command of the skills and learning outcomes of the programme(s) can be accessed at the end of this sheet, in the section entitled “Programmes/courses offering this Teaching Unit”.
- Marketing revolution in the new digital landscape
- Impact of the digital landscape on strategic marketing
- Key changes in the media landscape
- New digital communication tools
- The power of social media
- Big data, artificial intelligence and privacy
Lectures, case studies. Many conferences with marketers from the new digital world will be organized.
- Date: Weeks 2-5
- Type of evaluation: Group assignment (25%) and Google Digital Atelier certification (5%)
- Comments: Group assignment to be handed in by 20th November
- Oral: No
- Written: Yes (70%)
- Unavailability or comments:
- Oral: No
- Written: No
- Unavailability or comments: No
DIGITAL MARKETING, CHAFFEY AND CHADWICK, 6th edition. Pearson
Syllabi available at the DUC