This biannual course is taught on years 2015-2016, 2017-2018, ....
- Finding and clarification of the principles which link architecture to its formal, material and temporal dimension
- Understanding of the behaviour of complex structures
- Exploration of the creative and innovative dimensions of structures
- Integration of data on structure, construction and facilities in an architectural project
Specific learning outcomes
Students will find out and clarify the principles which link architecture to its formal, material and temporal dimension.
Students will be able to
- make links with the theory, i.e. advance their understanding and develop new knowledge.
- use resources, i.e. make strategic use of available information to make new representations and express global ideas to be able to identify and bring together all the different architectural dimensions.
It is thus a transdisciplinary approach in which students are required to produce knowledge and play an active part their own learning.
Students will gain intuitive understanding of the behaviour of structures which culminates in a production judged to be creative, innovative or inventive. This creative process is based on a dialogue and on an "open intuition' leading to the formulation of hypotheses which respond to a certain number of parameters which are either given or introduced by students. Students are put in the situation of a "structure designer". Skills are acquired though exploration of the material dimension of architecture, encompassing structure and geometry, materials and construction.
Contribution to the learning outcomes reference network:
Test an artistic approach
- To imagine drivers which can transform the perception of what is real
Build knowledge of architecture
- Be familiar with and analyse the discipline's basic references
- Develop knowledge and become an active participant in the learning process
Make use of other subjects
- Make strategic use of other subjects to put into question the design and implementation of an architectural project
Use the technical dimension
- Be able to apply the various basic technical principles in producing a work of architecture
- Acquire an instinctive understanding of structures to use in producing a creative and/or innovative work of architecture
Adopt a professional attitude
- Test and observe the framework of professional practice and to architectural knowledge through independent involvement
Make committed choices
- Activate and develop an ethical sense through approaches to architecture
The contribution of this Teaching Unit to the development and command of the skills and learning outcomes of the programme(s) can be accessed at the end of this sheet, in the section entitled “Programmes/courses offering this Teaching Unit”.
- Architecture workshop.
- Personal research.
- Architectural design.
The slideshows and the documents are available on moodle.
- Andrea Deplazes, Construire l'architecture, Birkhauser, Kenneth Frampton: Studies in Tectonic Culture, MIT Press, Cambridge, London, 1996.
- Mohsen Mostafavi, Structure as Space, AA editions, 2006, London.
- Luisa Collina : Process and pattern in architecture and design, Silvana, 2016, Milano.