The LANGL2423 course or any other equivalent course. (Speaking skills corresponding to the B1 level of « the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages »).
The prerequisite(s) for this Teaching Unit (Unité d’enseignement – UE) for the programmes/courses that offer this Teaching Unit are specified at the end of this sheet.
The course is based on real-life professional-type situations in the field of criminology.
Teaching activity will focus on :
- taking part in a job interview (after writing a C.V. and a letter of application)
- giving a talk on an institution
- preparing and participating in a professional interview of a person needing the help of a criminologist
- preparing and attending a professional meeting
The course aims at enabling the student
- to write a letter of application and a CV
- to take part in a job interview
- to prepare a Powerpoint document on the institution in which he / she was a trainee
- to make an oral presentation of his / her institution
- to briefly describe the introductory situation of the professional interverview as well as its protocol
- to ask or answer questions at the professional interview
- to briefly describe the introductory situation of the professional meeting
- to run and participate in a professional meeting
- to develop the communication techniques appropriate to professional life,
At the end of the term, the student should have acquired oral skills roughly corresponding to the B2 level of « the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages » for the following skills :
- oral production
- written production
The contribution of this Teaching Unit to the development and command of the skills and learning outcomes of the programme(s) can be accessed at the end of this sheet, in the section entitled “Programmes/courses offering this Teaching Unit”.
The course aims at enabling the student to function in the relevant social and professional contexts (law enforcement, the judicial world, the execution of criminal sentences, the field of prevention policies and psycho-social interventions).
Individual oral production:
- being able to make a simple and clear presentation of the institution in which the student is a trainee and to answer the questions of the audience
- being able to take part in a job interview and to apply for a vacancy in the institution in which the student is a trainee
Interactive oral production :
- being able to interview a person needing the help of a criminologist in the relevant social and professional contexts
- being able to give one's opinion at a professional meeting by explaining the arguments, the advantages and disadvantages of the different aspects in a logical, understandable and interactive way.
- being able to write down a curriculum vitae and a letter of application
- being able to prepare a Powerpoint document on the institution in which he / she was a trainee
- being able to briefly describe the introductory situation of a professional interverview as well as its protocol
- being able to briefly describe the introductory situation of the professional meeting
The course is based on interactive communication. The activities proposed aim at consolidating and developing the communication techniques specific to a professional context while at the same time mastering the code required (general and specific vocabulary, grammar). These activities will involve role-plays involving the spoken and written language.
The activities proposed are of two kinds
- presentation by the teacher of the linguistic functions and techniques most directly related to professional life (meetings, job interviews, interviewing someone, presentations ...) and activation of these skills in various role plays.
- presentation of assignments prepared by the students in connection with their placement:
- presentation of the placement institution thanks to a Powerpoint document
- job interview (+ letter of application and CV)
- interview of someone who needs the help of a criminologist
- preparation of and participation in a professional meeting about a specific case
Before each class activity, the teacher places a range of tools (communication techniques, useful expressions, general and specialised vocabulary, grammatical reminders) and resources (written documents, audiovisual aids, web sites …) at the students’ disposal to enable the students to interact in communication situations in so far as they have been prepared beforehand. Feedback activities are also planned. Students are given detailed instructions before each activity.
Participation in the 4 projects :
- job application (25%)
- presentation of the institution (20%)
- professional interview (15%)
- professional meeting (20%)
Active participation in class and level of spontaneous oral skills (20%)
The September exam material is the same as for the continuous assessment of the 4 projects during the academic year but the student can be exempted from part of it if his / her teacher considers it is possible and enables him / her to be evaluated on one or some of the 4 projects. The mark for active participation in class is not taken into account in September.
- Syllabus LANGL 2623 (disponible à l'ILV) / e- LANGL 2623 course notes (available at the ILV)
- La matière d'auto-apprentissage mise en ligne sur la plate-forme Moodle / Self-tuition material on Moodle-UCL