This course aims to extend and develop the course LCOMU1312 "Technology and communication". It is made of 3 different parts.
In the "theoretical" part, the notion of device is introduced around several other central concepts: media, media objects, communication means, technology, tools, etc. Then, the keys to understand underlying technologies will be presented. For example, notions of artificial intelligence, algorithms, blockchain will be introduced and demystified.
In the "critical analysis" part, the technical and societal challenges of these technologies and the devices that make use of them are studied. What does the emergence and usage of these devices say of our society and how is the latter deeply transformed by these tools? The themes covered in this section deal in particular with mobility, democracy, community life, work, algorithmic governance, transhumanism.
Finally, in the "case study" part, mainly fed by the students' work, a series of media devices is studied. Based on the knowledge gained in the first two parts, the goal is to analyze, on a series of concrete cases, the underlying technologies, the usage made of the devices, and the societal transformations already observed or likely to be triggered by them.
- Lectures by the teacher and by stakeholders directly involved in the analysis, design and / or marketing of media devices.
- Discussion on students experience in using technologies
- Analysis by the students of a specific device.
- Continuous evaluation: research and analysis work on a media device. If the number of students permits, this work will be presented and discussed during the course. One-off individual work may also be requested and will be used to feed the discussion on the topics covered during the course.
- In-session evaluation: exam on transmitted knowledge. As it is the first year of the course, the exam procedures (written or oral exam) will be determined based on the number of students enrolled.
Presentation materials, useful links, work instructions and other external resources (reference work, etc.) will be made available to students on the Moodle platform:
- Les supports de présentation, liens utiles, consignes de travaux et autres ressources extérieures (ouvrage de référence, etc.) seront mis à disposition des étudiants sur la plateforme Moodle du cours :