This project requires in-depth knowledge of mechanics of structures, stability of structures, reinforced concrete structures, geotechnics, loaded and free-surface hydraulics, hydraulic structures, bridges, roads, steel structures as taught in the courses of the minor in construction and in the courses LGCIV1022, LGCIV1023, LGCIV1031, LGCIV2071, LGCIV2072, LGCIV2051, LGCIV2013, LGCIV2033, LGCIV1032, LGCIV1072, LGCIV2014.
The prerequisite(s) for this Teaching Unit (Unité d’enseignement – UE) for the programmes/courses that offer this Teaching Unit are specified at the end of this sheet.
See part "Content" hereunder
With reference to the AA reference framework of the "Master Civil Engineer of Constructions" program, this course contributes to the development, acquisition and evaluation of the following learning outcomes:
- (AA1.1, AA1.2, AA1.3)
- (AA2.1, AA2.2, AA2.3, AA2.4, AA2.5)
- (AA4.1, AA4.2, AA4.3, AA4.4)
- (AA5.1, AA5.2, AA5.3, AA5.4, AA5.5, AA5.6)
- (AA6.1, AA6.2, AA6.3, AA6.4)
More specifically, at the end of this project, the student must be able to:
1. Technical and engineering skills:
- Apply the technical knowledge taught in the prerequisite courses (in particular calculation and design of structures);
- Analyze a problem in all its dimensions and ask the right questions to make the right choices of design, materials, geometric shapes, execution methods, etc. .;
- Design one or more technical solutions in accordance with the specifications of the project.
2. Project management / managerial skills:
- Organize and coordinate the work of the group;
- Manage new datas and make the right decisions;
- Establish the schedule of the works;
- Determine the appropriate mode of procurement;
- Make a price calculation.
3. Social skills :
- Communicate effectively, not only within the group but also with teachers.
The contribution of this Teaching Unit to the development and command of the skills and learning outcomes of the programme(s) can be accessed at the end of this sheet, in the section entitled “Programmes/courses offering this Teaching Unit”.
This project deals with all the disciplines of civil engineering. The theme is chosen based on the data available at the time of the project, usually based on a real project, completed or in progress.
It can be for instance:
- A hydraulic engineering structure (dam, lock, ...);
- A concrete or steel (foot)bridge;
- An underground or urban structure (tunnel, road, metro ...);
- A hydraulic structure like a water tower;
- The development of a technical landfill site.
Volume 1 will focus on the concepts of project management and on the review of design and calculation methods.
Volume 2 will focus on the project itself via workshops.
Ex-cathedra teaching for volume 1.
Workshops for volume 2.
The evaluation will integrate:
- The participation to the workshops;
- The quality of the group reports;
- An individual oral examination of each student, covering all the aspects of the project.
A site visit can be organized as part of the project
Available on Moodle
- Slides of the course;
- Normative documents;
- Commercial documentation relating to construction products (sheet piles, docking cushions, neoprene supports, etc.)