Business Ethics and Compliance management are key elements that define modern business competitiveness, and companies are actively seeking professionals and future business leaders to join their Ethics and Compliance functions. This course aims to provide future leaders and professionals with a solid understanding of the complex dilemmas and the managerial tools to allow them to operate and implement effective business ethics and compliance programs in their company or join a team in that fast growing segment of activities.
During their programme, students of the LSM Master's in management or Master's in Business engineering will have developed the following capabilities'
- Decide and act by incorporating ethical and humanistic values, integrity, respect for the laws and conventions, solidarity and civic action, and sustainable development.
A SCIENTIFIC AND SYSTEMATIC APPROACH
- Consider problems using a systemic and holistic approach : recognize the different aspects of the situation and their interactions in a dynamic process.
WORK EFFECTIVELY IN AN INTERNATIONAL AND MULTICULTURAL ENVIRONMENT
- Position and understand the functioning of an organization, in its local and international socio-economic dimensions and identify the associated strategic issues and operational decisions.
- Analyse a project within its environment and define the expected outcomes : identify what is at stake, the required outcomes and the environmental constraints; clearly define the project objectives and associate the performance indicators.
- Make decisions and take responsibility for them in an uncertain world : take initiatives and act, anticipate and be proactive, show discernment and good judgment and be prepared to make quick decisions, taking into account multiple factors and uncertainties; accept the risks and consequences of decisions.
The contribution of this Teaching Unit to the development and command of the skills and learning outcomes of the programme(s) can be accessed at the end of this sheet, in the section entitled “Programmes/courses offering this Teaching Unit”.
- Business ethics theories
- Governance models
- Risk Management
- Building blocks of successful compliance programs
- Leading internal investigations
- Embedding ethics and compliance in the audit program.
- General and interactive courses combining theory and practical managerial experience;
- Review of the leading theories and practices in the field.
- Focus on a couple of selected themes within the subject (e.g. Competition laws, Human Rights, Anticorruption, Export controls);
- Challenges on practical implementation with leading professionals in global organizations
- A selection of case studies will be used to allow participants to think about complex business issues and decisions.
- A team project is required consisting of a Third party ethical assessment
- Date: Yes
- Type of evaluation: Desktop review, report and workshop
- Comments : This work involve a written report, an oral presentation and a workshop discussion. It accounts for 50% of the total.
- Oral: No
- Written : No
- Unavailability or comments:
- Oral: Yes
- Written: Yes (two hours)
- Unavailability or comments: The written exam accounts for 50 % of the total.
- Students with a second session have three choices, they can either keep the marks from the continuous evaluation and pass the written exam again, or table an improved report by mid August latest and keep the written examination marks or presents both an improved report and present the written exam again
Link with the LSM competency framework :
Priority in this course is given to
- corporate citizenship to enhance your ability to act consciously, aware of your responsibilities, placing human and ethical considerations at the very heart of your thinking and actions
- master a multidisciplinary body of knowledge (contents, methods, models and conceptual frameworks) related to Business Ethics and Compliance; and
- personal development to prepare yourself to act effectively as an emerging leader or as a professional in this emerging field.