Although we do not yet know how long the social distancing related to the Covid-19 pandemic will last, and regardless of the changes that had to be made in the evaluation of the June 2020 session in relation to what is provided for in this learning unit description, new learnig unit evaluation methods may still be adopted by the teachers; details of these methods have been - or will be - communicated to the students by the teachers, as soon as possible.
At the end of this learning unit, the student is able to :
At the end of the course, students should have developed the following skills:
B1-B2 level of the « Common European Framework of References for Languages »
B1 level of the « Common European Framework of References for Languages »
The contribution of this Teaching Unit to the development and command of the skills and learning outcomes of the programme(s) can be accessed at the end of this sheet, in the section entitled “Programmes/courses offering this Teaching Unit”.
- Reading comprehension: articles from the New Scientist, Scientific American etc. oriented towards the various diciplines of the Faculty of Science.
Listening comprehension : BBC and PBS science programmes on subjects pertaining to the students' specific fields of study.
- -Extensive home-reading of texts, with assistance from a set of questions aimed at developing the students' reading strategies.
- In class, checking of the student's reading strategies as well as analysis and comments.
- Systematic approach of discourse cohesion and coherence, of recurrent grammatical structures and other lexical and structural difficulties impairing comprehension.
- Listening comprehension: extensive and intensive work on understanding video programmes at home. Various comprehension exercises, such as questions, syntheses, diagrams etc. Questions and answers time as well as spot checks of understanding in class.
- Consolidation of new material through exercises on e-learning platform Moodle.
- Possibility to be exempted from classes (but not from the exam) for students scoring 10/20 at the placement test held during the first semester.
- Written exam on reading and listening skills.
- Plateforme e-learning Moodle