Have reached the objectives of the course LANGL1212 or equivalent.
The prerequisite(s) for this Teaching Unit (Unité d’enseignement – UE) for the programmes/courses that offer this Teaching Unit are specified at the end of this sheet.
The themes are related to their studies and fields of future professional activities.
Broadly speaking, these are all steeped in the English-speaking world's culture.
At the end of the course, the students should be able to
- grasp the content and significance of articles and reports on topics connected with their interests or their jobs.
Reading comprehension : level B2+ of the « Common European Framework of References for Languages »
- understand the TV programmes concerning general topics and oriented towards their fields of interest in standard and clearly articulated English language.
Listening comprehension: level B2+ of the « Common European Framework of References for Languages »
- master enough grammar, vocabulary and phonetics to successfully take part in discussions, debates or language-focused activities and give their opinion on general topics.
Speaking: level B2 of the « Common European Framework of References for Languages ».
The contribution of this Teaching Unit to the development and command of the skills and learning outcomes of the programme(s) can be accessed at the end of this sheet, in the section entitled “Programmes/courses offering this Teaching Unit”.
This course is interactive and conversation-oriented regardless of the level. The teacher resorts to various techniques and media to help the learners hold a conversation, participate in debates and take the floor.
The students will also be trained to report on articles, radio and TV programs, give a short talk on the English-speaking world culture; discuss historical events and current news; argue about societal and philosophical debates; take part in quizzes.
Training learners to become autonomous readers of authentic written documents
Broadening the students' vocabulary scope
Teaching key grammar points such as tenses, auxiliaries, connectives and the passive voice.
Listening decoding strategies in a foreign language
Role plays, debates, discussions
English pronunciation and stress patterns.
As regards speaking skills, the emphasis will be on fluency rather than accuracy.
- Class attendance and active participation (and completion of home assignment)
- The end-of-term written grammar
- The spring team student-led class
- The mid-term, oral phonetics test
- The May research-based role-play debate on a study-related controversial issue
This mark represents 75% of the final mark.
- The student will also have to take a standardized exam, the IELTS test, under the teacher's supervision. In case of overall failure, the student will be allowed to retake this part of the exam internally during the second session.
Students will not be exempted for a part of the exam. If you take the September exam, you have to re-do the written exam AND the oral exam. Your continuous assessment mark will not be taken into account.
- LANGL 1315 course notes
- LANGL1315 Moodle platform