Basic instruction in the philosophy of natural science and in ethical reflection ; Reading knowledge of English sufficient to allow for study of contemporary texts in philosophy of Nature and philosophy of natural science.
The course will consist of a philosophical analysis of techno-scientific practices along parallel tracks.
- It will examine the societal dimensions of techno-scientific practice, and introduce the fundamental concepts of the sociology of science as well as movements related to " Sciences, technologies, societies " .
- It will also portray the ethical dimension of scientific practices, within the multiple dimensions of the techno-scientific sphere. The course will have two parts:
- In the first, theoretical part it will provide an introduction to basic concepts in the sociology of science and the fundamental concepts of the ethical approach to science and technology.
- The second part will analyze case studies chosen each year.
Upon completion of the course, the student shall be able to :
- analyze contemporary techno-scientific practices
- distinguish the social and ethical significance of these practices
The contribution of this Teaching Unit to the development and command of the skills and learning outcomes of the programme(s) can be accessed at the end of this sheet, in the section entitled “Programmes/courses offering this Teaching Unit”.