Although we do not yet know how long the social distancing related to the Covid-19 pandemic will last, and regardless of the changes that had to be made in the evaluation of the June 2020 session in relation to what is provided for in this learning unit description, new learnig unit evaluation methods may still be adopted by the teachers; details of these methods have been - or will be - communicated to the students by the teachers, as soon as possible.
The prerequisite(s) for this Teaching Unit (Unité d’enseignement – UE) for the programmes/courses that offer this Teaching Unit are specified at the end of this sheet.
- The sounds of English: vowels, diphthongs, consonants; accentuation; intonation; phonetic transcription; geographical variation (British and American English)
- The structure and meaning of English words: morphemes and allomorphs; inflection and derivation; neologisms, loanwords
- The history and development of English: origin of the language, evolution, diversification
- The social context of English: degree of formality, sociolects
- The discourse of English: written and spoken registers, genres, critical discourse analysis
- Crosslinguistic approaches to English
- Learning and teaching English as a Foreign Language
At the end of this learning unit, the student is able to :
A la fin de cette activité, l'étudiant est capable de développer un savoir informé sur les disciplines du cursus, répondre à une question écrite à travers un discours informé sur la langue ou la linguistique (notions, courants, théories de référence), recourir de manière adéquate et rigoureuse au vocabulaire, aux notions et aux concepts propres à chacune de ces disciplines, produire un discours qui intègre de manière adéquate et rigoureuse le vocabulaire, les notions et les concepts propres à la linguistique.
The contribution of this Teaching Unit to the development and command of the skills and learning outcomes of the programme(s) can be accessed at the end of this sheet, in the section entitled “Programmes/courses offering this Teaching Unit”.
In January or September: written exam including theoretical questions (70%) and exercises (30%).
- Notes de cours et Powerpoint sur Moodle
- Portefeuille de lectures