Although we do not yet know how long the social distancing related to the Covid-19 pandemic will last, and regardless of the changes that had to be made in the evaluation of the June 2020 session in relation to what is provided for in this learning unit description, new learnig unit evaluation methods may still be adopted by the teachers; details of these methods have been - or will be - communicated to the students by the teachers, as soon as possible.
2. The description and illustration of approaches, aids and teaching/learning techniques in the field of Dutch as a foreign language.
3. The role of tasks in language learning and teaching (simple vs. complex, pedagogic vs. functional, formal vs. significative, verbal vs. non verbal aspects).
4. The conception and critical discussion of teaching/learning sequences (including formative and certificative testing).
The required level of communicative competence is described as follows:
- Reading comprehension. Being able to autonomously understand factual texts as well as specialised articles pertaining to the field of teaching and education. Level C2 of the Common European Framework ".
- Listening Comprehension.
2. Interactive : Being able to understand a natural conversation between several native speakers on a subject related to the field of teaching or education. Level C2 of the Common European Framework ".
- Speaking (main objective).
2. Interactive : Being able to take part, unprepared, in a conversation on topics related to the field of education Being able to prepare, organise, and manage a conversation class, alone or as part of a group. Being able to actively take part in a conversation in familiar situations, being able to present and defend personal opinions. Being able to communicate with such a degree of spontaneity and fluency that normal interaction with native speakers can occur. Being able to take part in discussions about teaching and education in a fluent and efficient way. Being able to skilfully relate one's own contributions to those of other speakers. Level C1 of the Common European Framework".
- Writing. Being able to write messages related to the field of education, and take part in an internal web-based discussion forum. Level C1 of the Common European Framework.
- Code. Students should have full command of the functions of language, and of simple and complex grammatical structures, they should use a wide range of vocabulary (both general and specific). Pronunciation and intonation must not impede spontaneous and easy communication. Particular focus will be put on " classroom language ".
At the end of this learning unit, the student is able to :
The students should acquire the knowledge, the skills and know-how as well as the existential competence (the so-called "savoir-être") necessary to teach Dutch as a foreign language in secondary schools (the so-called "Enseignement de transition de la CFWB"). Demonstrate a high level of communicative competence in the target language.
The contribution of this Teaching Unit to the development and command of the skills and learning outcomes of the programme(s) can be accessed at the end of this sheet, in the section entitled “Programmes/courses offering this Teaching Unit”.
The theoretical part (22,5h) consists of discussions about the application of acquisition theories and didactic principles.
The practical part consists of (1) the presentation and critical analysis of the learning/teaching sequences by the students (15h) and of (2) the development of the communication skills.
Theoretical part : discussion about the didactic principles and the acquisition theories by the use of articles about foreign language teaching and school material (manuals).
Practical part : practicing the theories by developing a teaching/learning sequence. Practicing the communicative competence in a variety of situations debates and discussions, role plays, short lectures, lessons taught, self-study of grammar and vocabulary, self study of "classroom language", etc. Feedback will be given and remedial exercises may be suggested. Detailed instructions about the specific activities will be given in advance.
1. An oral exam of the theoretical part : based on school material (manuals), the students discuss the application of the acquisition theories and of the divers didactic concepts (30%)
2. Continuous evaluation of the language competences: oral and written exercises during the semester (40%)
3.The oral presentation of the teaching/learning sequence which has been presented during the seminar. All material included in the didactic sequence will be handed-over to the assessor. Class participation in the discussions of the teaching/learning sequences of the other students will be evaluated as well.
Students who get an unsatisfactory mark for one of the three parts of the exam will not get an overall pass. This part/These parts have to be retaken during the session of September
- Powerpoints van de les beschikbaar op Moodle
- Wetenschappelijke en extra teksten beschikbaar op Moodle
- Kwakernaak, E. (2015) Didactiek van het vreemdetalenonderwijs. Bussum: Coutinho.
- Powerpoints van de les beschikbaar op Moodle
- Extra teksten beschikbaar op Moodle