Although we do not yet know how long the social distancing related to the Covid-19 pandemic will last, and regardless of the changes that had to be made in the evaluation of the June 2020 session in relation to what is provided for in this learning unit description, new learnig unit evaluation methods may still be adopted by the teachers; details of these methods have been - or will be - communicated to the students by the teachers, as soon as possible.
- Issue of the text-society relationship: historical perspective, contemporary perspective
- Methods of sociological and socio-critical analysis
- Critical study of the strategies of allocation of literary value (transcendence/immanence)
- In-depth analysis of a (popular) literary text from the 19th or 20th century
At the end of this learning unit, the student is able to :
At the end of the course, the student will have acquired:
- insight into the main theories about the relationships between the (popular) literary text and society (sociology of literature and socio-criticism mainly)
- practical skills to analyse a (popular) literary text with the theoretical and methodological tools devised by sociologists of literature and socio-critics
- competence for reflexiveness towards the functioning of the literary field and in particular towards the mechanisms of allocation of literary value
The contribution of this Teaching Unit to the development and command of the skills and learning outcomes of the programme(s) can be accessed at the end of this sheet, in the section entitled “Programmes/courses offering this Teaching Unit”.
Lectures a lot of emphasis will be placed on the critical reading of theoretical texts and the analysis of extracts of (popular) literary texts.