A knowledge of Spanish on a B2+ level is required. The students will be informed of a possible insufficiency of their linguistic abilities.
This course deals with a historical overview of methodologies for teaching Spanish as foreign language, and with a thorough reflection on teaching practices of the Spanish language. The analysis of E/LE textbooks will address issues such as the definition of the level (see the Common European Framework of Reference), the definition of standard Spanish, the structure of the teaching unit, the variety of exercises and finally the issue of evaluation.
At the end of this course, the students will be able
- to recognize and understand the main trends in the teaching of Spanish as foreign language (E/LE);
- to analyze a E/LE manual;
- to develop and structure a comprehensive didactic unit;
- to teach a part of the didactic unit and to reflect on their own didactic practice.
The contribution of this Teaching Unit to the development and command of the skills and learning outcomes of the programme(s) can be accessed at the end of this sheet, in the section entitled “Programmes/courses offering this Teaching Unit”.
The course is divided into:
- theoretical sessions during which we propose a reflection on the major trends in the history of the teaching ELE, the common frame of reference, and the available textbooks.
- exercise sessions, during which students work on the structure and content of a teaching unit type.
- support sessions concerning their oral expression and interaction skills in the classroom.
Students are expected to develop didactical tools from a corpus of theoretical readings commented during the course. Moreover, an intervision session concerning the teaching practice will be organized within the framework of this course.
This class has a continuous evaluation as follows:
- 15%: present the SIELE S3 exam (listening comprehension, and oral expression and interaction). When the student obtains the C1 level for this exam, he/she obtains the maximum score for this part of the evaluation. When the student obtains the B2 level for one of the components of the exam, he/she obtains 8/20 for this part of the evaluation. When the student obtains the B1 level or a lower level for one of the components of this exam, he/she obtains 0/20 for the part of the evaluation that corresponds to the 15% represented by the SIELE exam and fails the course as a whole. For the August resit session, an exam that is equivalent to SIELE S3 will be proposed to the students.
- 15%: 1,5h practical teaching exercise prepared in teams of 2 or 3 students
- 70%: written paper concerning the practice of teaching
Not presenting one of the parts of the evaluation implies a 0 score for the course as a whole. For the August session, only the parts for which the student did not obtain a pass grade, will have to be presented again.
a reader will be available on the Moodle page of this course