The LANGL1330 course for students in BAC1 is designed to prepare the students for the second annual unit.
The prerequisite(s) for this Teaching Unit (Unité d’enseignement – UE) for the programmes/courses that offer this Teaching Unit are specified at the end of this sheet.
At the end of this learning unit, the student is able to :
At the end of the course students are expected to have reached the following levels (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) in the following skills:
Listening comprehension individual:
Speaking skills individual:
Speaking skills interactive:
Building-up general vocabulary in context and reinforcing specific structures in English (gerunds/infinitives).
- reading of texts, using scanning and other reading techniques;
- analysis and explanation of texts in class;
- general or more detailed understanding of video programmes;
- research project and creation of a press book, using relevant media sources,
- preparation and presentation in groups of 3 or 4 of an oral interactive discussion;
- writing of a mail to a TED speaker;
- recording of a short video on a question
- vocabulary and language structures are practised and developed via speaking activities (role plays, interviews, conversation in small groups).
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the information in this section is particularly likely to change.Learning takes place in context using authentic texts and videos.
Reading and listening comprehension are exploited orally and in writing.
Speaking is exercised via debates, role-plays and talks in groups.
Writing is developed through the writing of an email to a TED speaker.
Vocabulary and grammatical structures are revised both orally and in writing.
The teaching unit may take place face to face, in hybrid form or fully remote, depending on the Covid-19 measures recommended by UCLouvain.
Basic vocabulary mistakes are revised on the Moodle platform.
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the information in this section is particularly likely to change.Continuous assessment throughout the year:
3 grammar and vocabulary tests over the year – 2 in Q1, 1 in Q2 – on given grammar topics and vocabulary related to the texts and videos seen in class, and on the frequent vocabulary mistakes (Vocab 911).
Research project consisting of a ‘file’ (press book) to be built up throughout the year containing min. 6 sources ( audio, video, articles, song, etc) on a chosen topic (templates to be filled in and evaluated)
Interactive group discussion
- Email to a TED speaker
- recording of a short video (opinion time) = 5%
Attendance and active participation
Oral exam ( presentation of press book and discussion of research subject with the teacher)
- A partit du portail UCL: Moodle UCL: cours LANGL1331
- Syllabus LANGL1331 General English
- Inscription plateforme Moodle cours LANGL 1331