The basic notions of algebra and analysis covered by courses LINFO1111 and LINFO11112 should also be mastered.
The prerequisite(s) for this Teaching Unit (Unité d’enseignement – UE) for the programmes/courses that offer this Teaching Unit are specified at the end of this sheet.
- Representation of floating point numbers
- rounding error problem and error propagation (discussion for the methods below).
- Notion of convergence and stopping criteria of iterative methods
- Representation of matrices, efficient multiplication of matrices
- Resolution of linear systems, including iterative methods
- Interpolations and regressions
- Numerical integration, numerical differentiation
- Resolution of ordinary differential equations: problems with initial value
- Resolution of nonlinear equations (function roots), application to simple one-dimensional optimization problems (including notion of minimum / maximum local or global)
At the end of this learning unit, the student is able to :
Given the learning outcomes of the "Bachelor in Computer science" program, this course contributes to the development, acquisition and evaluation of the following learning outcomes:
The contribution of this Teaching Unit to the development and command of the skills and learning outcomes of the programme(s) can be accessed at the end of this sheet, in the section entitled “Programmes/courses offering this Teaching Unit”.
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the information in this section is particularly likely to change.By presentation of the concept and by implementation. If the COVID allows it, the lectures are given face-to-face or, if not, remotely. Practical work is given entirely in the classroom if possible, otherwise it is given every other week in the classroom and every other week remotely.
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the information in this section is particularly likely to change.
Weekly workouts contribute 2 points in the final evaluation. The weighting between continuous assessments and the sessional examination could be modified according to health conditions.
- Numerical Methods in Engineering with Python 3 de Jaan Kiusalaas - ISBN-10: 1107033853
- Slides on moodle