Co-requis : botanical introduction to pharmacognosy (part 1)
The prerequisite(s) for this Teaching Unit (Unité d’enseignement – UE) for the programmes/courses that offer this Teaching Unit are specified at the end of this sheet.
- Basic knowledge on the major classes of active metabolites of vegetable origin
- Systematic study of the main families containing plants used in pharmacy or toxic ones
- Techniques of improvement of healing plants and optimization of the yields
At the end of this learning unit, the student is able to :
The student, at the end of this course, will have enough knowledge to recognize and identify plants, and particularly those which are important in the pharmaceutical field (medicinal plants, toxic plants) to
- prevent and recognize poisonings and identify the causes,
- verify the identity of plant-based drugs he will deliver or expertise in the exercise of his profession,
- follow with fruit the course of pharmacognosy and understand the notions of biosynthesis and chemotaxonomy.
- He will also have acquired basic knowledge on the major classes of plant active metabolites.
The contribution of this Teaching Unit to the development and command of the skills and learning outcomes of the programme(s) can be accessed at the end of this sheet, in the section entitled “Programmes/courses offering this Teaching Unit”.
- Modes of reproduction, developmental cycles
- morphology of reproductive organs (inflorescences, flowers, fruits, seeds)
- The various branches of the Plant kingdom: description, use, cycles
· Angiosperms (flowering plants)
- systematics, main families, medicinal species, uses, active ingredients
· techniques of yield improvement
- active molecules from vegetable origin
· practical classes: plant identification (microscopic examination of slices and whole plant botanical identification - systematics) and realization of a herbarium
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the information in this section is particularly likely to change.Theoratical courses and practical courses allowing to identify a local plant and realise herbarium samples
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the information in this section is particularly likely to change.written exam for the theoretical part. Realization of a herbarium and practical exam
site Biologie végétale.be
- notes de cours sur Moodle
- Jacquemart AL, Descamps C. Flore écologique de Belgique. Editions Erasme