At the end of this learning unit, the student is able to :
At the end of the course students are expected to have reached a B2 lower level (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) in the 3 following skills:
The contribution of this Teaching Unit to the development and command of the skills and learning outcomes of the programme(s) can be accessed at the end of this sheet, in the section entitled “Programmes/courses offering this Teaching Unit”.
At the end of the course students are expected to have reached a B2 level (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) in the 3 following skills: reading, listening and speaking.
In order to meet students' various needs, expectations, and levels, two courses are organised in BAC 1 : LANGL1821 (B1 level) and LANGL1822 (B2 level). Students are split up into these 2 different courses on the basis of the results of a compulsory placement/exemption test taking place at the beginning of the year.
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the information in this section is particularly likely to change until September 13.The pedagogical method is mainly based on authentic texts and videos. Learning basic vocabulary and structures is supported by vocabulary exercises.
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the information in this section is particularly likely to change until September 13.Assessment BAC 1 students are tested in the following way :
- Compulsory Placement/Exemption test: At the very beginning of the academic year, all students MUST take an exemption test. This test is the same level as the exam. On the basis of the results, students can be exempted from the course or have access to the LANGL 1821 or LANGL 1822 course.
- End first-term test: At the end of the first term, MUST take a test assessing the vocabulary (cf «Professional English in Use - LAW»), grammar and listening skills.
- Final written exam: students are tested on the videos and texts seen in class, vocabulary and all the grammar included in the programme.
- Students must also take an oral test based on the MOODLE audio files.
- Continuous assessment evaluates daily work of students.
- Optional remedial workshop « LANGL 9999 » for weaker students (1h./week).
- Teacher available at least one hour a week during office hours
- Syllabus du cours : « English for Lawyers » (disponible à l'ILV) ' Obligatoire.
- "Professional English in Use - LAW" de Gillian D. Brown et Sally Rice, Cambridge University Press. ISBN : 978-0-521-68542-9 - Disponible en librairie. ' Obligatoire.
- "La Grammaire Anglaise" de T M.C Dufaux at A. Rousselle, Collection Petits Sésames, Van In,Wavre-Wommelgem, 2003. - Disponible en librairie. ' Optionnel.
- A partir du portail UCL :sur Moodle UCL : le cours LANGL 1821 English for Lawyers (intermediate) et sur iCampus : l'assistant de lecture CoBra LANGL 1821 ' English for Lawyers (intermediate)