At the end of this learning unit, the student is able to :
At the end of the course students are expected to have reached a B2 lower level (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) in the 3 following skills:
The contribution of this Teaching Unit to the development and command of the skills and learning outcomes of the programme(s) can be accessed at the end of this sheet, in the section entitled “Programmes/courses offering this Teaching Unit”.
At the end of the course students are expected to have reached a B2 level (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) in the 3 following skills: reading, listening and speaking.
In order to meet students' various needs, expectations, and levels, two courses are organised in BAC 1 : LANGL1821 (B1 level) and LANGL1822 (B2 level). Students are split up into these 2 different courses on the basis of the results of a compulsory placement/exemption test taking place at the beginning of the year.
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the information in this section is particularly likely to change.This is a flipped classroom class. The first step consists in an comprehensive preparation of the class session by the students, who will have access to documents (texts, videos) on the Moodle UCL platform as well as series of exercises to help them reinforce their understanding of the documents. In class, students will have a chance to ask for clarifications for any questions they may have after the preparation, get exercises to improve some lexical and grammatical points, and participate in additional activities to check and practise their understanding and mastery of the course material.
The pedagogical method is mainly based on authentic texts and videos. Learning basic vocabulary and structures is supported by vocabulary exercises.
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the information in this section is particularly likely to change.BAC 1 students who follow the LANGL1821 course will have the following assessment for this course:
- Compulsory Placement/Exemption test: At the very beginning of the academic year, all students MUST take placement test. Based on the results of this test, students will follow either LANGL1821 or LANGL1822. The results of this test are not part of the final assessment.
- End first-term test: At the end of the first term, students must take a test which will assess their mastery of legal vocabulary, grammar and listening comprehension (Q1 material).
- Final written exam: students are tested on the videos and texts seen in class, vocabulary and all the grammar included in the programme.
- Students must also take an English pronunciation test based on the pronunciation activities and material tackled in the course.
- Continuous assessment evaluates daily work of students (online and in class).
- Optional remedial workshop English+ for weaker students (1h./week). Practical information about these workshops will be communicated in class.
- Teacher available at least one hour a week during office hours
The Course team on Microsoft Teams.
- Syllabus English for Lawyers, Reading and Listening Comprehension Material for 1st year in Law. Intermediate Level.
- Plate-forme LANGL1821 sur MoodleUCL.
- Livre de vocabulaire: Check Your English Vocabulary for LAW by Rawdon Wyatt, Bloomsbury - 3rd edition
- Speasy App / downloadable resources (pronunciation)