The prerequisite(s) for this Teaching Unit (Unité d’enseignement – UE) for the programmes/courses that offer this Teaching Unit are specified at the end of this sheet.
- socializing ( introducing oneself, greeting, inviting, small talk, ')
- meetings and negotiating: taking part in and chairing a meeting, debating, agreeing and disagreeing, convincing, concluding,'
- presentation skills: presenting and defending a project:, facts and figures, processes and cycles, graphs,'
- giving/receiving a phone call
applying for a job: writing a CV and cover letter, leading up the job interview.
At the end of this learning unit, the student is able to :
By the end of this module the students will be able to express themselves in English on general topics and their professional fields.
At the end of the term, the student should have acquired oral skills corresponding to the B1-B2 level of « the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages ».
- Interaction in general and professional situations.
- Participation in and management of debates and meetings.
- Negotiation skills.
- Objective description of projects, processes, cycles, graphs, facts and figures, etc.
- Scientific presentations: subject is chosen by the student
- Writing: e-mail, CV, letter of motivation
- Job interview practice
- Vocabulary and grammar mastery (general and specific vocabulary, grammar related to French-speaking students’ difficulties).
- Language functions: expression one’s opinion, agreement, disagreement, interrupting, diplomatic language, etc.
- Pronunciation: general and specific vocabulary
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the information in this section is particularly likely to change.
- Interactive communication through classroom activities: debates, meetings, job interview,...
- Exposure to a variety of real-life situations (scientific presentation, CV and cover letter, job interviews) requiring specific language functions.
- Consolidation and improvement of grammar use, vocabulary accuracy as well as pronunciation.
- Regular feedback to students.
- Pairwork and small groups (conversation tables)
- Field trip (depending on the sanitary situation)
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the information in this section is particularly likely to change.a) Participation (warm-up discussions, debates,…)
d) Cover letter
e) Meeting (group exam)
f) Job interview (individual exam)
- Syllabus: LANGL2480 English Communication Skills for Bioengineers