This biannual learning unit is not being organized in 2020-2021 !
- Literary composition and performance in the social, political and cultural context of the Early Archaic Period.
- Transmission of ancient literary works through oral or written traditions.
- Early Archaic cultural concepts and institutions conveyed by the epic tradition.
At the end of this learning unit, the student is able to :
At the end of this seminar, students will be able to correctly use the main relevant concepts. They will be able to develop a detailed commentary about a text similar to those commented during the lectures.
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the information in this section is particularly likely to change.The seminar consists of lectures based on reading assignment.
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the information in this section is particularly likely to change.Personal oral presentation during the term (20%) and written examen during the session consisting of an essay (50%) and MCQ (30%).
- D. Bouvier, Le sceptre et la lyre. L’Iliade ou les héros de la mémoire, 2002.
- Ph. Brunet, Naissance de la littérature dans la Grèce ancienne, 1997.
- W. Burkert, The Orientalizing Revolution. Near Eastern Influence on Greek Culture in the Early Archaic Age, 1995².
- V. Du Sablon, Le système conceptuel de l’ordre du monde dans la pensée grecque à l’époque archaïque, 2014.
- J. M. Foley, A companion to ancient epic, 2005.
- Lord, The Singer of Tales, 1960.
- G. Nagy, Le Meilleur des Achéens. La fabrique du héros dans la poésie grecque archaïque, 1994 = The Best of the Achaeans. Concepts of the Hero in Archaic Greek Poetry, 19992.
- G. Nagy, La poésie en acte : Homère et autres chants, 2000 = Poetry as Performance, 1996.
- M. L. West, The Making of the Iliad. Disquisition and Analytical Commentary, 2011.
- M. L. West, The East Face of Helicon. West Asiatic Elements in Greek Poetry and Myth, 1999.
- Syllabus / Coursebook (disponible / available on Moodle)