This learning unit is not being organized during year 2020-2021.
The exercises (15h) included in this course focus on the critical edition of a Christian Arabic text.
At the end of this learning unit, the student is able to :
At the end of the course, the student should have acquired:
- thorough familiarity with the sociolinguistic phenomenon of Middle Arabic, or mixed Arabic, in its various manifestations ;
- basic knowledge of the main studies on sociolinguistics and sociophilology as applied to Arabic;
- basic knowledge of mediaeval texts written in Middle Arabic and of contemporary texts either written in the mixed variety of Arabic or transcribed from recordings of oral performance ;
- the ability to prepare a critical edition of a mediaeval text written in Middle Arabic ;
- the heuristic skill of using the main instruments for the study of Middle Arabic: grammars, encyclopaedias, bibliographies, monographs and articles, web-based resources ;
- the know-how to carry out individual research within the field of Middle Arabic or the mixed varieties of Arabic ;
- the communication skills required to orally present the findings of a small-scale research project on a relevant text.
The contribution of this Teaching Unit to the development and command of the skills and learning outcomes of the programme(s) can be accessed at the end of this sheet, in the section entitled “Programmes/courses offering this Teaching Unit”.
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the information in this section is particularly likely to change.This course comes in the format of a seminar and includes classroom instruction sustained by the Moodle virtual teaching environment. It requires active involvement and for each session presentations of texts or assigned topics are to be prepared.
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the information in this section is particularly likely to change.
- Continuous assessment of quality of participation in class (in the case of a second inscription: to be replaced by an assignment). Proportion: 40%.
- Oral presentation of an individual or collective projec. Proportion: 60%.
- Textes imprimés, textes en photocopies, documents présentés sous forme numérique, support sonore.
- Inscription obligatoire sur Moodle.
- Portefeuille de lectures/textes