The prerequisite(s) for this Teaching Unit (Unité d’enseignement – UE) for the programmes/courses that offer this Teaching Unit are specified at the end of this sheet.
The first part « Materials and Processes » defines the concepts and the basic tools of materials and processing sciences. It highlights the main steps leading to a useful material objects from the natural ressources. A special emphasis is made on the relationships between the synthesis and fabrication processes and the structure and properties of the resulting materials.
The second part « Mechanics » first reminds the basic concepts of rational mechanics of rigid bodies. The constitutive equations of the main forces practically encountered are then presented with a special emphasis on the problem of friction. Finally, domains such as cars, robotics, mechanisms, biomechanics, transmission, etc. are presented during the lectures and through seminars in order to illustrate the theoretical concepts mentioned here above.
At the end of this learning unit, the student is able to :
« At the end of this course, students will be able to
For the « Materials and Processes » part,
For the « Mechanics » part,
The contribution of this Teaching Unit to the development and command of the skills and learning outcomes of the programme(s) can be accessed at the end of this sheet, in the section entitled “Programmes/courses offering this Teaching Unit”.
"Chemical Processes and Materials" part:
- Industrial chemical production and feedstock.
- Study of chemical processes in the fields of metals and inorganic materials, soaps and polymers; examples are presented to highlight the techniques in chemical processes and to illustrate the notion of flow-sheet, heat and pollution.
- Main classes of materials (metals, ceramics, polymers); chemical bondings; crystalline and amorphous structures; structural defects; alloys and composites.
- Mechanical properties: strain-stress relationships, elasticitiy, viscoelasticity, elastic modulus, yield and tensile strength, ductility, fatigue, ...
- Physical properties: electrical conductivity, thermal capacity, thermal conductivity, ...
- Reminders on rational mechanics.
- Application to simple systems.
- Study of forces in spring, dumper, friction.
- Descrition of some mechanical transmissions (gear, cardan, ...).
- Elements of statics: theory, beams, applications.
- Three or four seminars illustrating the concepts of the course.
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the information in this section is particularly likely to change until September 13.Magistral lectures and seminars
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the information in this section is particularly likely to change until September 13.Written examination using open questions and multiple choice questionnaire.
Students are evaluated on their understanding of the concepts presented during the lectures. A special attention is drawn on their ability to summarize things and to make relationships between the different concepts.
"Chemical processes and materials": https://moodleucl.uclouvain.be/course/view.php?id=8984
Des notes de cours, des copies de transparents et, éventuellement, d'articles pour lectures complémentaires sont mises à la disposition des étudiants sur Moodle.
Références bibliographiques recommandées, lectures conseillées :
Des références complémentaires d'ouvrage seront données par les enseignants.