At the end of this learning unit, the student is able to :
|1||This course is an introduction to mathematical modelization in social sciences at large (economics, political science, sociology, law). It is not a course in mathematics and the prerequisite do not go beyond the basic college mathematics. Its aim is to help students to develop an analytical capacity through a systematic and rigorous use of simple concepts of game and decision theory.|
At the end of this course, students will be able to
- to understand the value of formalization for the social sciences and to recognize the main tools used in this field,
- to build models of strategic situations and analyze them using cooperative and non-cooperative game theory,
- to use computer simulation of social phenomena using a programming environment (NetLogo).
- to read and use references in English independently.
- Introduction: what is formalization and modeling in the social sciences?
- Mathematics for the social sciences: sets, relationships, matrices, functions, permutations and combinations.
- Introduction to the theory of non-cooperative games: dominant and dominated strategies, Nash equilibrium, sequential games.
- Introduction to cooperative game theory: the problem of stable matches, collective choices, equitable distribution, power indices.
- Social science simulations: micro-simulations and multi-agent models.
- Introduction to social network analysis.
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the information in this section is particularly likely to change.The course is structured around lectures and practical work. Participation in sessions of practical work is required.
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the information in this section is particularly likely to change.A written exam organized in the regular session, combining practical exercises and multiple-choice questions.
C.A. Lave and J.G. March. An introduction to models in the social sciences. University Press of America, 1993.
Bonacich, P. and Lu, P., Introduction to Mathematical Sociology, 2012, Princeton University Press