This biannual learning unit is being organized in 2020-2021
The prerequisite(s) for this Teaching Unit (Unité d’enseignement – UE) for the programmes/courses that offer this Teaching Unit are specified at the end of this sheet.
At the end of this learning unit, the student is able to :
At the end of the course, the student :
- will master the principal aspects and stages of the history of Spain at the 19th and 20th century;
- will be able to locate in its historical context a literary or artistic work of the 19th or 20th Spanish century.
1. The century of political instability (1808-1875). Goya and the War of Independence.
2. The Spain of the Restoration (1875-1931). Sorolla and Zuloaga facing Spain at the end of the century. Dalí in modernist Catalonia.
3. The crises of the 1930s. 3.1. The Republic and filmmakers. Close-up on Buñuel. 3.2. War and culture: the Spanish pavilion at the Universal Exhibition in Paris.
4. The Franco years (1939-1975). Antonio Saura's painting. Carlos Saura's cinema.
5. The Transition to Democracy. La Movida and its descendants.
6. The Spain of the autonomies.
7. Historical memory in perspective: Spanish cinema facing the past.
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the information in this section is particularly likely to change.The course aims to contextualize and analyze works of art. For contextualisation, students will synthesise the available information. From there, analyses will be deployed based on student participation.
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the information in this section is particularly likely to change.Written exam