Desterbecq Fanny (coordinator); Dumont Amandine (coordinator); Piwnik Marc;
A2 level (in reading) of the « Common European Framework of References for Languages ».
The studied themes are connected with biology, chemistry, geography, physics, mathematics, veterinary science, and various scientific issues.
At the end of this learning unit, the student is able to :
At the end of the course, students should have developed the following skills:
- Reading comprehension: articles from the New Scientist, Scientific American etc. oriented towards the various diciplines of the Faculty of Science.
Listening comprehension : BBC and PBS science programmes on subjects pertaining to the students' specific fields of study.
In order to allow for advanced learning despite the limited number of class hours the course is organized as a 'flipped classroom':
- -Extensive home-reading of texts, with assistance from a set of questions aimed at developing the students' reading strategies.
- In class, checking of the student's reading strategies as well as analysis and comments.
- Systematic approach of discourse cohesion and coherence, of recurrent grammatical structures and other lexical and structural difficulties impairing comprehension.
- Listening comprehension: extensive and intensive work on understanding video programmes at home. Various comprehension exercises, such as questions, syntheses, diagrams etc. Questions and answers time as well as spot checks of understanding in class.
- Consolidation of new material through exercises on e-learning platform Moodle.
- Possibility of being exempted from the course (but not from the exam) by obtaining at least 10/20 in the online placement test organized during the first semester.
- Continuous assessment based on regular work done on the Moodle platform (for all students, whether they are exempted from the course or not) (10% of the final grade).
- Written exam on reading and listening comprehension and grammar / vocabulary (90% of the final grade).
- Students who obtain a grade lower than 10/20 in the June session will have to retake the exam in the September session (100% of the final grade).
- Plateforme e-learning Moodle
Faculty or entity
Title of the programme
Bachelor in Veterinary Medicine
Bachelor in Chemistry
Bachelor in Physics
Bachelor in Mathematics
Bachelor in Biology
Bachelor in Geography : General
Interdisciplinary Advanced Master in Science and Management of the Environment and Sustainable Development
Master  in Environmental Science and Management