0 h + 90.0 h
- Use French to a high level of accuracy ;
- Very good comprehension (level C2+) of English;
The prerequisite(s) for this Teaching Unit (Unité d’enseignement – UE) for the programmes/courses that offer this Teaching Unit are specified at the end of this sheet.
In-depth analysis of issues in social and current affairs: economics, finance, politics, international institutions;
At the end of this learning unit, the student is able to :
Contribution of teaching unit to learning outcomes assigned to programme
With regard to the learning outcomes assigned to the Master's programme in Interpreting, this teaching unit contributes to the development and acquisition of the following goals: 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 3.1, 3.3, 3.4, 6.4, 8.6:
On completion of this course the student will be able to:
- Deliver in French (Language A) the message originally expressed in English, in the contexts of consecutive and simultaneous interpreting alike, demonstrating his or her mastery of French in assimilating the talk while taking account of the speaker's drift and using the appropriate register and the specific communicative conventions relevant to the context;
- Demonstrate complete proficiency in French including accuracy at C2+ level in order to render every subtlety of meaning and nuance;
- Demonstrate in-depth comprehension of English, covering all its nuances, sufficient for the understanding of complex subjects and argumentation;
- Demonstrate that he or she is possessed of good general knowledge and is keen to develop further in this domain;
- Recognise underlying socio-cultural references in a talk and render them in the most appropriate manner in the process of interpreting;
- Analyse presuppositions and allusions in a talk and transpose
them into French;
- Develop strategies in terminology and documentary research;
- Demonstrate flexibility and mental acuity in adapting without hesitation to novel communicative situations;
- Demonstrate perseverance, tact, and self-mastery especially in stressful situations;
The speeches to be interpreted deal with inter alia in-depth and various issues of topicality (economy, environment, international institutions ect.) The students will be faced with native speakers speeches especially, as well as various recorded or live speakers.
Attendance classes to consolidate the consecutive and simultaneous techniques. The classes consist in hands-on exercices in consecutive and simultaneous , followed by live comments of the teacher on the students performances. Stress is put on in-depth comprehension of English, covering all its nuances and shades of tones, the mastery of the gist of the speech, the quality of the target language (French) to a high level of accuracy and communication.
Final validating assessment through live consecutive and simultaneous performances in front of a professional jury composed of both teachers from the teaching unit and outside professional interpreters
Faculty or entity