30.0 h + 30.0 h
- Manufacturing process selection
- Complements on machining and computer assisted processing
- Additive manufacturing
- Non-conventional machining processes
- Virtual manufacturing
At the end of this learning unit, the student is able to :
In consideration of the reference table AA of the program "Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering", this course contributes to the development, to the acquisition and to the evaluation of the following experiences of learning:
- Manufacturing process selection : selection strategy, project of process selection.
- Complements on machining: cutting forces, power, surface conditions, automatisation, realization on machine.
- Additive manufacturing: processes, process selection criteria, metallurgical quality of the workpieces, project of topological optimisation with a practical realization in Laser Powder Bed Fusion (metal)
- Non-conventional machining processes with a focus on electro-erosion
- Virtual manufacturing: Hypothesis of finite elements calculations, application to machining
- Magistral courses
- Two projects (additive manufacturing, process selection)
- CNC machining laboratory
- Plant visits
- Projects in groups and active participation to visits and laboratories (40% of the mark)
- Oral exam during the exam session (60% of the mark)
Bases of manufacturing are usefull for the understanding of the course but will be recalled in lecture 1
- Materials Selection in Mechanical Design, M.F. Ashby, Butterworth Heinemann. E-book disponible par la BST (connexion UCL obligatoire): http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/book/9781856176637
- Manufacturing Engineering and Technology, S. Kalpakjian, S.R. Schmid, Pearson.
- Manufacturing processes and equipement, G. Tlusty, Prentice Hall.
- Usinage, J.-F. Debongnie, Céfal.
- Lecture slides provided online
Faculty or entity