Master in Linguistics students come from very different backgrounds. More than half of our student body is international. This rich cultural and linguistic diversity is a real asset for both the linguistics lecturers (particularly in courses such as semantics, lexicology and contrastive linguistics) and the students themselves.
Alongside the courses taught in French, various courses are available in English, Dutch, German or Spanish. With the agreement of the teachers concerned, students can opt to undergo assessments and write their dissertation in English. Double degree with the University of Oslo
There is a double degree agreement with the University of Oslo (UiO). Students doing the LAMUSO focus can apply for this programme, completing the first year of their Master’s degree at UCL and the second at UiO.
This results in a double degree:
- a Master in Linguistics with a professional focus from UCL, and
- a Master of Philosophy in Linguistics and its Applications for a Multilingual Society from UiO.
Further information: https://uclouvain.be/en/faculties/fial/linguistique-0-1.htmlInternational internships
As part of their Master’s degree in Linguistics, students will be required to do an internship in a research laboratory or a company. Grants are available for students wishing to complete their internship in Flanders or abroad.Study visits
Students in Linguistics (focus in Natural Language Processing or Linguistics and its Applications for a Multilingual Society) are encouraged to undertake:
- a study visit for one term (30 credits) in one of the many universities with which the Faculty of Philosophy, Arts and Letters has concluded partnership agreements, in Europe under the Erasmus+ programme, in Switzerland under the SEMP programme, or elsewhere in the world under the FAME/Mercator programme, or
- a study visit for one term (30 credits) in one of the partner universities in Flanders, under the Erasmus Belgica programme, and/or
It is advisable to organise the study visit during the second term of the first year or the first term of the second year.
Furthermore, under the agreement between UCL and KU Leuven, courses in Linguistics may be taken from the KU Leuven programme.
To find out more:
- Partner universities
- Practical information (in French)
- Information on international internships (in French)
- Double degree in Linguistics