The minor is open to all students who are interested in issues relating to the environment, civil engineering, town and country planning, urbanism, architecture and architectural history.
The minor is made up of basic activities which do not require any specific prior qualifications.
The minor amounts to 26 credits. The student completes his/her program by adding electives in order to reach a total of at least 30 credits.
The minor gives students an insight into and a basic introduction to the discipline of the architectural engineer. It includes activities in the three key areas: architectural theory and history, architectural technology, architectural design. Students do not need any specific qualifications for these activities.
The minor is open to all students who are enrolled on baccalaureate programs in the Faculté des sciences appliquées, regardless of their major (in particular, it is a natural formative additional course for students who have opted for the major in 'construction'). In more general terms, it is open to students of all faculties who wish to give concrete expression to their interest in understanding and forming living spaces at their various stages (the edifice, the town, the landscape).
Any student who is interested in this minor must take account of the fact that the nominal distribution of minors at UCL is approximately 15 credits in the second year and 15 credits in the third year. In order for the overall course burden to be balanced, the student who chooses this path has the possibility, if s/he so desires and provided his/her timetable and the entry requirements allow for it, to move a volume of courses equal to 5 credits from the third year to the second year so that each year of his/her program amounts to 60 credits. This restructured program must then be approved by the ad hoc baccalaureate committee.
On successful completion of this programme, each student is able to :
- Acquérir et démontrer une compréhension d’un socle de connaissances des principales dimensions constitutives de l’architecture (conception du projet ; théorie et histoire ; rudiments constructifs) afin d’en saisir les spécificités.
- Démontrer une compréhension du processus de conception du projet d’architecture.
- Découvrir, saisir et faire preuve de la rigueur exigée par l’architecture.
- Faire preuve d’un mode de raisonnement spécifique à l’architecture, à ses enjeux anthropiques et techniques.
- Percevoir les spécificités de l’établissement des lieux humains et reconnaître des moyens d’action supplémentaires à sa discipline de référence par la pratique du projet.