At the end of their course, the holder of the Master  in French and Romance Languages and Literatures : General will demonstrate an excellent ability to analyse and interpret speeches, in particular, literary and, more generally, cultural, speeches. Their in-depth knowledge of French, Italian and Spanish will enable them to take an educated look at their own culture and understand the ever-changing linguistic and literary context into which it fits, thanks to a range of different tools (philological, theoretical, hermeneutic, historical and comparative). Students will also be able, thanks in particular to an excellent knowledge of the language, to communicate their knowledge and implement it in all professional contexts on the basis of the type of speech in question (teaching, editing, culture and continuing education, journalism, scientific research...).
With these qualities, students on the masters in French and romance languages and literature will become intellectuals in the field of humanities able to contribute to the significant issues and challenges in modern society, by demonstrating how its heritage and linguistic and literary creativity constitute authorities on the basis of which such questions can be answered.
On successful completion of this programme, each student is able to :
1. Situate, analyse and interpret the different areas of French, Spanish and/or Italian literature in a coherent and relevant way.
1.1. Conduct in-depth analyses of French literary works.
1.2. Conduct in-depth analyses of Spanish literary works.
1.3. Conduct in-depth analyses of Italian literary works.
2. Recognise, from within the literature of at least two romance languages and within European and non-European literature, links relating to circulation, similarities and also differences and specific features between different authors, works and general historical and literary trends.
2.1. Recognise the similarities and differences between works from two romance languages.
2.2. Recognise the similarities and differences between works relating to the general history of literature.
3. Employ the knowledge acquired in the different fields of the humanities, with a view to conducting an in-depth analysis of facts, documents, speeches or issues.
3.1. Analyse a fact, document, speech or problem on the basis of historical theories.
3.2. Analyse a fact, document, speech or problem on the basis of philosophical theories.
4. Understand questions relating to literary theory and produce a critical reading of a text using the analytical and interpretation tools offered by the available methods and practices.
4.1. Achieve expert skills in oral French.
4.2. Achieve expert skills in written French.
5. Demonstrate a profound expertise in French, and advanced communication and analysis skills in Spanish or in Italian.
5.1. Demonstrate a profound expertise in French.
5.2. Demonstrate advanced communication and analysis skills in Spanish.
5.3. Demonstrate advanced communication and analysis skills in Italian.
6. Implement a suitable method of analysis based upon the disciplinary field chosen for the final assignment (French literature, French linguistics, French as a second language).
6.1. Implement a suitable research methodology for French literature.
6.2. Implement a suitable research methodology for French linguistics.
6.3. Implement a suitable research methodology for French as a second language.
7. Develop, on the basis of language and literature studies, reflective and critical knowledge allowing them to become an actor in modern society, and an intellectual in the area of humanities, open to a dialogue between language, literature and other artistic and scientific knowledge.
7.1. Apply a reflective and critical approach to society on the basis of literary studies.
7.2. Apply a reflective and critical approach to society on the basis of language studies.