- Programme content of international appeal
- Programme structure organized to attract non-Belgian students
- Some courses given in English to prepare students for exchange visits ; important yearly lectures of the Chair of Political, Administrative and International Reform, given (either in French or English) by a professor of international standing
- Study visit abroad for one semester possible under the Erasmus scheme, and to a lesser extent, Mercator; exchange can take place in the first or second years and is worth 30 credits.
- Importance given to European communication strategy
- In addition to the general agreement with KULeuven for regular exchange of subjects, discussions are currently under way to seek agreement for : 1/ access to specific courses for 15 credits ; 2/ access to courses which together form a natural group (for example groups of area studies or modules of seminars on methodology).
The professional focus in Humanitarian Action is part of the group formed in 1993 by a consortium of European universities under the aegis of the Network on Humanitarian Action (NOHA) and in collaboration with the European Community Humanitarian Aid department (ECHO). It is also one of the programmes supported by the Erasmus Mundus scheme. This gives a strong international element to the programme, allowing it to be entitled European Master in International Humanitarian Action.
Students may take advantage of the possibilities for exchange visits with the six other universities in the network.
- Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Germany
- Paul Cézanne University, Aix-Marseille, France
- University College Dublin, Ireland
- Rijksuniversiteit Groningen (RUG), Netherlands
- Deusto University, Spain
- Uppsala University, Sweden
Under the Erasmus Mundus scheme, research may be done at partner universities outside the European Union.
Under another initiative, links have been established with doctoral students and the network of the Centre for the Study of Crisis and International Conflict (Centre d'études des Crises et des Conflits internationaux – CECRI)