A vast majority of professionals active in the field of toxicology in Europe have not had a specific training in toxicology. These professionals are generally physicians, pharmacists, biologists, chemists, bio-engineers, etc. trained on the job. These professionals often want to obtain a specific training in toxicology in order to improve their expertise in toxicology and progress in their career.
In order to respond to this need, the Public Health Faculty at UCLouvain and the Belgian Society of Toxicology and Ecotoxicology (BelTox) organise a new training in Toxicology.
The overall aim of this training programme is to acquire theoretical and applied knowledge on the effects of chemical substances on human health.
In 2019, the programme includes two modules with their respective Learning Outcomes:
1. Principles of Toxicology (Module 1)
- Understand the basic principles of toxicology
- Get an overview of all aspects of experimental and clinical toxicology
- Learn to use data sources to retrieve toxicology data
- Get introduced in the analysis of toxicology results
2. Regulatory Toxicology (Module 3)
- Understand the application of risk assessment in different regulatory systems
- Be able to perform a basic risk assessment using toxicological and exposure data
- Be able to interpret data submitted for the purpose of registration, classification and labelling of different types of chemicals substances
- Be aware of the quality requirements for the conduct of toxicology studies required for regulatory procedures
The programme in 2020 will consist of 3 modules :
- Principles of Toxicology (Module 1)
- Occupational Toxicology (Module 4)
- In vitro Toxicology (Module 5)