Tiago Nogueira Pimenta Dos Reis
Assistant de recherche
Tiago Nogueira Pimenta dos Reis
Brazilian, 34 years old, divorced.
Université catholique de Louvain
Earth and Life Institute
Georges Lemaître Centre for Earth and Climate Research (TECLIM)
Place Pasteur 3, bte L4.03.08
firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com – Skype: tiago.n.pimenta.dos.reis.
Telephones: +32 10 47 2499/ +32 48 645 3931.
PhD researcher in the project COUPLED: Operationalising Telecoupling for Solving Sustainability Challenges for Land Use, at Université catholique de Louvain, Belgium, under the program ESR 10 'Stickiness in international trade of agricultural and forestry products’.
1. Postgraduate degree
- Master of Science (MSc) in Environmental Policy, University College Dublin (UCD, Ireland) (October/2014).
Awards: First Class Honours (A) and Convery Medal for Environmental Policy.
- ‘Green Political Economy Policy Analysis Framework: A REDD+ Study in the Brazilian Amazon’ (Grade: A): http://bit.ly/2rYVWGg. Topics: REDD+ policy application and green political economy in case study of Juma Reserve, Brazilian Amazon. I developed a policy analysis methodology and applied it using qualitative methods (semi-structured and unstructured interviews, and participant observation).
- Skills developed: observation, interview, research logistics, relationship and qualitative analysis.
Other relevant production and skills developed in the master’s:
I produced papers, policy reviews, scientific reports, institutional documents for policy advocacy, conference poster and an engagement strategy. These provided me the opportunity to develop skills related to: critical analysis, comparative analysis, literature review, synthesis, writing, oral and visual presentation, qualitative and quantitative analysis, statistics, research design and methods, spatial analysis (GIS), geo-statistics, interviewing, sampling, questionnaire design, policy design and assessment, advocacy for controversial position, focus groups.
- Management and Assessment of Public Policies (360h), Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro (PUC-Rio, Brasil) (July/2011);
- Trade and international business (330h), PUC-Rio, Brasil (July/2011).
3. Undergraduate degree
- Bachelor (BA) in International Relations, Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro (PUC-Rio) (July/2011).
- ‘Brazilian Foreign Policy and Climate Change: Brasil’s position at UNFCCC COP15’: http://bit.ly/2rvkl5K. This involved qualitative analysis of documents, speeches and interviews to understand how Brazilian foreign policy for climate change was influenced by various national and international stakeholder groups, actors, agencies and agendas (N: 9.7/ 10).
4. Secondary Education
- Federal Centre of Technological Education (CEFET-MT), Cuiabá-MT (December/2004).
Relevant complementary course:
- Brazil’s Political and Economic Formation, Getúlio Vargas Foundation (FGV), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (60h).
- Planetary Boundaries and Human Opportunities: the quest for safe and just development on a resilient planet. Stockholm Resilience Centre and SDSN MOOC (2015);
- Advocacy in the Parliament, Brazil’s Federal Chamber of Deputies, Brasília, Brazil (20h).
Portuguese: native language.
English: fluent reading, writing and speaking (one year English-study in England, one year in Ireland and MSc);
Spanish: advanced reading, writing and speaking (C1 European level achieved at Instituto Cervantes, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil);
French: advanced reading, writing and speaking (C1 European level achieved at Alliance Française, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil);
- Amazon Environmental Research Institute (IPAM, Brasília, Brasil) – from Aug/2014 – Apr/2018.
Environmental policy researcher and projects’ manager – Developed skills: compilation, analysis and interpretation of quantitative and qualitative data; spatial analysis (GIS); geostatistics and statistical analysis and modelling (not strong); policy analysis; participation in policy design and implementation; design, budgeting, management and execution of research projects; policy advocacy; institutional representation in various multi-stakeholder fora, such as the Soy Moratorium Working Group, UNFCCC Conference of the Parties (COP20-23), Roundtable of Responsible Soy (RTRS), Climate and Brazil’s Forest Code Observatories, Brazil’s Coalition on Climate, Forests and Agriculture and others; writing of policy briefs, technical papers and reports; oral and graphic presentations; preparation of graphics and tables; organisation and realization of seminars and workshops. Publications available at: www.ipam.org.br, https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Tiago_Reis8m and https://ipam.academia.edu/TiagoReis.
- BRT Transport and Logistics (Pinheiral-RJ, Brasil) – from January/2013 to September/2013.
Owner and logistics Coordinator – Developed skills: management, negotiation, relationship, persuasion.
- SEBRAE-RJ (Rio de Janeiro, Brasil - Development organisation for micro and small entrepreneurship) – from July/2012 to January/2013.
Trainee in project management – Developed skills: institutional articulation; presentation; project design, management and execution to foster micro and small entrepreneurship; organisation of events; socioeconomic research to subsidise developmental public policies; profile identification and prospection of micro-entreprises for training and insertion in oil and gas supply chain; moderation of commercial negotiations between large corporations and micro/ small entreprises.
- BRICS Policy Center (Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, Policy research institute on BRICS countries) – from August/2010 to August/2011.
Intern-researcher in the department of economics and politics. Developed skills: academic research, analysis, data organization and presentation. I wrote bimonthly political and economic analyses; policy briefs and monitors, graphics, spreadsheets and tables with political and macroeconomic data and indicators of easy browsing; political reports of the countries; summaries of literature articles to assist the production of bimonthly papers. Publications available at: http://www.bricspolicycenter.org .
- Wizard Idiomas (Teaching) – from August/2006 to July/2007.
English Teacher – I developed teaching and oratory skills by teaching adults and children.
Additional Relevant Activities
- Intern-editor of the academic journal ‘Cadernos de Relações Internacionais’, published by the Institute of International Relations of PUC-Rio, 2008-2009 (revision, copy-editing and management of papers).
- Professor’s assistant in undergraduate modules: Brazilian Economy (2009-1); and Brazilian Foreign Policy I, (2010-2). I provided assistance to the professors and support to students.
- Volunteer at the fundraising department of the NGO Action Aid, 2009, Rio de Janeiro.
- Assistant-Director of committee, United Nations Security Council, San Francisco Conference – V MIRIN (Simulation of International Relations Conferences) (July/2008).
- Assistant-Director of Social Projects, V MIRIN (2008).
- Volunteer surveyor, Community Justice Project, Mato Grosso Court of Justice, Cuiabá-MT, Brasil (2004). I applied a socioeconomic survey to 40 houses in order inform the project’s development.
Complementary Information – I operate efficiently the following softwares: MS Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, ArcGIS, SPSS, OpenProj. I partially operate: MS Access e Project. I have very basic knowledge of R and ENVI.
For a full list of publications, please access my online profiles at:
 The Convery Medal is awarded for outstanding academic achievement by a graduate student in the area of environmental policy. Such academic achievement is likely to be evidenced by one of more of the following: an outstanding assessment of research work in the form of the thesis or published work and/or an outstanding graduate degree classification or GPA.
Year Label Educational Organization 2015 Master of Science UCD Dublin 2021 Docteur en sciences Université catholique de Louvain
- Land use sciences and policy;
- Agricultural supply chains;
- Sustainability in agricultural supply chains;
- Climate policies;
- Anti-deforestation policies in tropical countries.