In order to meet growing economic and societal challenges such as energy management, communication and information technologies, sustainable development and climate change issues, it is essential to foster scientific and technological advances in industrial materials and processes. The master programme is intended for students :
- who have acquired a solid knowledge of chemical and/or physical engineering and mathematics during their bachelor programme,
- who are interested in research and development as well as production and management in cutting edge industries in the fields of chemistry, organic or inorganic materials, electronics, or process technology,
- who want to take advantage of the most recent research advances in the corresponding fields.
The master offers:
- a specialised training in an international environment as virtually all courses organized by the programme commission are taught in English with a “French-friendly” approach for French native speakers,
- an interdisciplinary approach to problem solving, rooted in physics and chemistry,
- research-based training : integration of students in experimental laboratories, research projects,
- exposure to industry through factory visits, industry internships, possible graduation projects at a company,
- the opportunity to gain an international dual degree if you are selected in the Master degree programme “Functionalised Advanced Materials & Engineering” (FAME), part of the Erasmus Mundus+ programme.
Career opportunities are very extensive and range from research and development to production and marketing. You can become :
- A « systems » engineer who designs new products or devices with specific properties or functions, e.g. a mitral valve, an electroluminescent polymer for a flexible display, a metallic alloy or a light composite for aerospace applications, a nanomaterial applicable for memory storage, etc.
- A « process » engineer who develops new production processes or manages the operation of production units, e.g. a plastics extrusion line, a factory for the extraction of a pharmaceutical compounds, a water or waste treatment plant, a production line for electronic components, a production unit for a high purity chemical compound, etc.
- A combination of both : for instance, you develop a polymer material for the automotive industry and the synthesis/compounding process required for its industrial scale up.