Researcher (PhD student type) for Micro- & Nanoscale integration of sensors on roll mills (Walloon research project SmartRoll)
Université catholique de Louvain
Institute of Information and Communication Technologies, Electronics and Applied Mathematics (ICTEAM)
Engineering › Control engineering
Engineering › Microengineering
Physics › Applied physics
Physics › Other
Technology › Micro-technology
Technology › Nanotechnology
First Stage Researcher (R1)
Recognised Researcher (R2)
Established Researcher (R3)
Belgium › Louvain-la-Neuve
TYPE OF CONTRACT
To be defined
HOURS PER WEEK
To be an academic scientific researcher, part of the Walloon research project entitled SmartRoll, which will study new instrumentations on hot-rolling cylinders for intelligent monitoring. Predicting incidents or drifting performance during rolling is not currently possible in current configurations. However, the future of hot rolling lies in the ability to be able to control the characteristics of rolling mill rolls directly during a complete campaign and therefore to make them “intelligent”.
The researcher will work under the supervision of Profs. Laurent Francis and Denis Flandre, on microsystems study, fabrication and characterization of the multisensor platform. He will develop new and consolidate existing micro- and nanofabrication expertise, integrating materials and other technologies developed by UCLouvain and partners at the wafer scale or system level, facilitating the fabrication of demonstrators, disseminate the expertise and services offered by UCLouvain researchers (publications, patents, etc.).
The project involves a consortium of Walloon partners: (i) industry: Marichal Ketin, Pepps Engineering and TAIPRO Engineering, (ii) research center: CRM - Metal Processing – Process Technology (MPPT) and (iii) university: UCLouvain - Institute of Information and Communication Technologies, Electronics and Applied Mathematics (ICTEAM).
• Be part of an internationally recognized academic institute.
• Build bridges between research group and external partners to address interdisciplinary scientific challenges.
• Initiate collaborations with commercial partners and valorize research results
• All working experience (including outside of academia) will be taken into account when determining your remuneration.
• A motivated candidate to do research and further a PhD (mixed field including Microelectronics, Materials Chemistry, Physics, Science and Engineering)
• A passion for novel materials, chemistry, and technology, and willing to work as part of an interdisciplinary team.
• A self-driven individual who takes initiative to build bridges between different disciplines within UCLouvain and between the university and external partners
• Since we target real-world applications through our research, an interest in valorization (e.g., spin-off creation) and identification of research needs (e.g., through setting up technology roadmaps) is required.
• Experience with (or interest in) setting up and managing multi-partner research projects.
• Experience in cleanroom fabrication is required.
• Proficiency in both written and spoken English, French is non-negotiable.
For more information please contact Prof. dr. Laurent Francis, mail email@example.com. You can apply for this job no later than 15/01/2022.
Web site for additional job details