June 08, 2017
June 09, 2017
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Free but registration is compulsory
|PDF version of the programme|
12:00 - 13:30 Registration [@ IRES, Dupriez Building]
14:00 - 15:00 Session 1
- Catia Batista (Nova University of Lisbon): “Migration, political institutions, and social networks”.
Discussant : Paolo Giordani.
- Craig Loschmann (UNU-MERIT): “The local economic impact of hosting refugees: the case of
Congolese refugees in Rwanda”.
Discussant: Bruno Schoumaker
15:50 - 16:20 Coffee break
16:20 - 18:00 Session 2
- Cemal Eren Arbatli (Faculty of Economic Sciences, Moscow): “Minorities, human capital and long-run development: persistence of Armenian and Greek influence in Turkey”.
Discussant: Andreu Arenas Jal.
- Arthur Silve (University Laval): “International migration and cultural convergence”
Discussant: Bastien Chabé-Ferret
18:30 - 19:30 Drink
20:00 Dinner [@ Nulle Part Ailleurs]
9:00 - 10:40 Session 3
- Chris Parsons (University of Western Australia): “Oppression, resistance and migration:Afghan households in conflict”.
Discussant: William Parienté.
- Philip Verwimp (ECARES, ULB): “Migration, forced displacement and fertility during civil war: a survival analysis”.
Discussant: Sara Salomone.
10:40 - 11:10 Coffee break
11:10 - 12:50 Session 4
- Petros Sekeris (University of Montpellier): “The resource curse”.
Discussant: Gonzague Vannoorenberghe
- Roland Hodler (University of St. Gallen): “Ethnic geography, federalism, and civil conflict”.
Discussant: Jean-Philippe Platteau
12:50 - 14:00 Lunch
14:00 - 16:30 Session 5
- Michael Jetter (University of Western Australia): “Terrorism and the media: the effect of US television coverage on Al-Qaeda attacks”.
Discussant: Chris Cunningham.
- Michel Beine (University of Luxembourg): “The impact of conflict on migration: a macro perspective”.
Discussant: Fabio Mariani
- Frédéric Docquier (UCLouvain, IRES): “Emigrants’ selection and the modernization potential of transition economies”.
Discussant: Nadzeya Laurentsyeva.
If you plan to participate send an email to Claudine Stage before May 15.
Marion Mercier (UCLouvain)
Fabio Mariani (UCLouvain)