Our institute comprises several buildings, all situated around the Place du Levant. Altogether (Professors, researchers, administrative and technical staff), it is nearly two hundred people who give life to our research and invest day after day in advancing science and technology in these areas.
The Stevin building, located on the Place du Levant, hosts the poles of Mechatronic, electrical energy, and dynamic systems (MEED) and Thermodynamics and fluid mechanics (TFL).
The Euler building located avenue Georges Lemaître, hosts the Applied mechanics and mathematics pole (MEMA) while the Reaumur building houses the Materials and process engineering pole (IMAP).
Finally, the Vinci building, also located on the Place du Levant, hosts the pole of Civil and Environmental Engineering (GCE).
There were considerable changes to the rules regarding parking cars in Louvain-la-Neuve in 2005. Where access used to be free of charge, it is now monitored and must be partly paid for.
By car :If you arrive by car, take the exit number 8A on the Brussels-Namur-Luxembourg Motorway (E411), then follow the directions "Louvain-la-Neuve Sud", "Biéreau" or "Bruyères". Leave your car in one of the (free) parking grounds.
- The parking "REDIME" is the sole parking ground with free access; it is located Avenue Georges Lemaître : see above on the right side of the map or see bottom of area D9 on the Louvain-la-Neuve map )
- The parking ground P13 is the parking for the Euler building (access reserved to UCL staff)
- The parking ground P18 is the parking for the Reaumur building (access reserved to UCL staff)
- The parking ground P14 is the parking for the Stevin building (access can be granted by our secretary)*
- The parking ground P10 is the parking for the Vinci building (access reserved to UCL staff)
* Please provide us your vehicle registration information (plate number) several day in advance.
By train :Louvain-la-Neuve has its own train station. There are three main train stations in Brussels: Bruxelles-Nord, Bruxelles-Central, and Bruxelles-Midi (also called Brussel-Zuid). There are trains from Brussels to Louvain-la-Neuve every half hour and the journey takes between 30' and 60' depending on which station you depart from (the order is as follows: Bruxelles-Midi, Bruxelles-Central, Bruxelles-Nord, Ottignies, Louvain-la-Neuve). Timetables are available from Timetables of the Belgian Railways. When buying a ticket or checking for connections, please indicate "Louvain-la-Neuve". Simply indicating "Louvain" may take you to the flemish city of Leuven wich is 30 km from Louvain-la-Neuve! The iMMC is a ten minutes walk from the train station in Louvain-la-Neuve. For finding your way from the train station to our buildings, we strongly recommend that you download and print the map with the recommended path . You may also print and follow the following instructions:
From the train station walk up the street ("rue des Wallons") all the way through "Place des Wallons", "Place Galilée" and "Place des Sciences" (a place with wooden floor). From the "Place des Sciences", follow the indications for "Sainte Barbe". Walk through the building "Sainte-Barbe" and exit on the other side of the building. You are on the "Place Sainte Barbe".
- To go to the Euler building, walk in the direction of the building "Maxwell" and just before entering the building "Maxwell", turn left, walk 50 m, enter the parking on your right and go up the stairs. You now see the building "Euler" on your right.
- The Reaumur building is 50 m on your left.
- To go to the Stevin building, walk in the direction of the building "Maxwell" and just 50 m before the building "Maxwell", you can see the entrance of the Stevin building on your left.
- To go to the Vinci building, walk in the direction of the building "Maxwell" and just 50 m before the building "Maxwell", you can see the entrance of the Vinci building on your right.
By plane :
- Brussels National Airport.
The main airport close to Louvain-la-Neuve is the national airport: Brussels National Airport at Zaventem (BRU). From the airport you can take a taxi directly to Louvain-la-Neuve, it will cost you about 60 EURO (the company Artgens, Taxi and limousines services, tel.: +32 10 452222 or +32 496 262222 knows Louvain-la-Neuve quite well). The airport is also connected by train to the train station "Bruxelles-Nord" in Brussels. There are regular connections and the journey takes about 30'. From "Bruxelles-Nord", you can then take a train to Louvain-la-Neuve (see above).
- Charleroi Brussels-South Airport.
There is also a much smaller airport (mostly operated by Ryanair) on the South of Brussels: Brussels- South Airport at Charleroi-Gosselies (CRL). From the this airport, there is a bus service to the railway station of Charleroi (Charleroi-Sud), where you can take a train to Louvain-la-Neuve (via Ottignies). The journey lasts for a little more than an hour.