Team building at institute level
Ir. at UCL in 2011
Main project: Impacts of energy efficiency and energy availability on economic growth
Supervisor(s): Hervé Jeanmart
I am working on the link between energy availability and accessibility and economic growth. To do so, I study the concept of Energy Return on Investment (EROI), which is the ratio of the energy that is produced by an energy conversion device throughout its lifetime to all the energy inputs that were invested from the extraction of raw materials to the end-of-life treatment of the facility. It is the best indicator to assess the quality and sustainability of an energy project, without any economic distorsion. Easy access to high EROI resources allowed our modern societies to develop their economic activities. However, even taking into account the technological progress, the amount of high EROI resources is decreasing because : (i) EROI of fossil fuels is declining over time, (ii) renewable alternatives have lower EROIs than traditional fossil fuels and (iii) EROI of renewable alternatives is declining with their spatial expansion.
I am developing a methodology to estimate the dynamic function for the evolution of the EROI of different renewable energy sources (wind, solar and biomass) with the cumulated annual production, in order to be able to accurately estimate the evolution of the EROI of the future energy system.
IMMC main research direction(s):
life cycle assessment
Research group(s): TFL
See complete list of publications
1. Dupont, Elise; Jeanmart, Hervé. Global available solar energy under physical and energy return on investment constraints. In: Applied Energy, Vol. 257 (2020). doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2019.113968 (Accepté/Sous presse). http://hdl.handle.net/2078.1/221347
2. Dupont, Elise. Poursuivre la croissance dans un monde 100% renouvelable? Limites physiques à la transition énergétique. In: L'ENA hors les murs, Vol. Energie et environnement, no.490, p. - (2019). http://hdl.handle.net/2078.1/222203
3. Dupont, Elise; Fagnart, Jean-François; Germain, Marc; Jeanmart, Hervé; Possoz, Louis. Transition énergétique et (dé)croissance économique. In: Regards Economiques, Vol. Novembre 2017, no. 135, p. 1-26 (2017). http://hdl.handle.net/2078.1/190938
4. Dupont, Elise; Koppelaar, Rembrandt; Jeanmart, Hervé. Global available wind energy with physical and energy return on investment constraints. In: Applied Energy, Vol. 209, p. 322-338 (2018). doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2017.09.085. http://hdl.handle.net/2078.1/189293
1. Dupont, Elise; Jeanmart, Hervé. Global potential of wind and solar energy with physical and Energy Return on Investment (EROI) constraints; application at the European level (EU 28 countries). http://hdl.handle.net/2078.1/220138