The Institute of Mechanics, Materials, and Civil Engineering with a panoply of successful spin off companies such as eX-Stream, Axinesis, Polyflow and WaPT, is a leading international center for research in engineering.
- Louvain Railway Research: ongoing research activity in the field of railway systems,
- Gmsh: A three-dimensional finite element mesh generator with built-in pre- and post-processing facilities,
- MadLib: an open source Mesh Adaptation Library,
- Robotran: Symbolic generator of multibody systems,
- SLIM: Second-generation Louvain-la-Neuve Ice-ocean Model.