UCLouvain invites applications for a tenure track (or tenured) full-time position in Psychology of couples
Application deadline: November 15th, 2020
Starting date: September 1st, 2021
The successful candidate will develop and drive cutting-edge research programs in the field of couple psychology, on the continuum from well-being to couple psychopathology, or clinical intervention for couples. Expertise in research methodology in this area is expected.
UCLouvain is a comprehensive university offering, in the context of the present position, the opportunity of cross-disciplinary research and teaching collaborations.
The successful candidate will have teaching assignments mainly in the field of psychology and psychopathology of couples, and clinical intervention for couples, within the various degree programs organised by the PSP Faculty, and in particular within the Master programme in Family and Sexual Sciences and Bachelor and Master degrees in Psychological Sciences. Teaching activities are supported by the Louvain Learning Lab that provides training and guidance for teachers in order to help them to develop innovative learning environment for their students.
The successful candidate will:
- be responsible for teaching courses at all study levels (i.e., undergraduate and postgraduate) as well as in programs in continuing education;
- supervise the final diploma research (i.e., theses) of undergraduate and graduate students as well as PhD theses;
- be involved in (and/or supervise, promote) research programs;
- be available to carry out, in the long term, different service activities and take on responsibilities within the University and its entities;
- contribute to the international visibility of the University through teaching and research excellence;
- contribute to activities of the University with a societal impact in the fields of the economy, socio-cultural changes or cooperation with developing countries.
Required qualifications: the applicant must have:
- A PhD in psychology or a comparable discipline
- Either studied abroad for an extensive period or have had substantial experience outside his/her institution of origin;
- A scientific experience recognized by international publications;
- Experience in and ability in university teaching, demonstrated if possible, by formal assessments;
- Ability to work as part of a teaching team and to integrate research findings into teaching;
- Creativity and openness to pedagogical innovation and interdisciplinarity;
- Capacities to carry out high-level scientific research: ability to raise research funding, manage projects, lead and manage a research team;
- Team management and communication skills, including, if possible, a mastery of the spoken and written French and English languages. Otherwise, you will be asked to acquire them within two years of taking up the post, in order to be able to communicate and teach in these languages. The university will provide language courses to achieve these goals, if required. Knowledge of other languages is an additional asset.
- The successful candidate will develop collaborations with stakeholders in the above-mentioned fields.
- Minimum professional clinical experience in these fields is required.
Presentation of the University, Faculty and Institute
UCLouvain is a one of the oldest universities in Europe and provides unique opportunities for interdisciplinary and multicultural experiences.
Building on almost 600 years of experience, UCLouvain is today at the forefront of innovation and excellence in education and research. The university has more than 30,000 students of 126 different nationalities, and a staff of about 5,800 collaborators. UCLouvain is responsible for the education of nearly one out of two French-speaking university students in Belgium. It participates in international university networks (Coimbra Group, FIUC, FUCE, The Guild, and Circle U) and has partnerships with many top institutions around the world. International experience is part of the quality training that is provided by the University. UClouvain is a multisite university. The successful candidate will be based in Louvain-la-Neuve which offers a unique living environment inside a naturally preserved neighborhood, conveniently located 30 km from Brussels, the heart of Europe. (For more information, see https://uclouvain.be/en).
At UCLouvain, governance is shared between institutes in charge of research, and faculties in charge of teaching. The position is attached to the Faculty of psychology and educational sciences (PSP) and the Psychological sciences research Institute (IPSY) that offer opportunities for diverse and stimulating teaching as well as an environment to carry out ambitious research. In the context of the present position, the opportunity of cross-disciplinary research and teaching collaborations.
The Psychological Sciences Research Institute (IPSY) covers four wide research areas:
- Social behavior, work and society
- Clinical and health psychology
- Psychological development and education
- Cognition and neurosciences
As a direct extension of its scientific activities, research groups offer specialized community services in their respective fields of competence: emotional disorders – speech therapy, neuropsychology – gifted youth - parenthood.
(for more information, see (https://uclouvain.be/en/research-institutes/ipsy).
The Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences offers high quality teaching by researchers who are recognized at an international level for their scientific competence. Regular assessment of the teaching contributes to continuous improvement of teaching methods and course content. The Faculty offers many facilities to students, including libraries, learning centers and computer rooms (for more information, see https://uclouvain.be/en/faculties/psp).
The level of recruitment (appointment to the rank of assistant professor or professor) will be discussed if a proposal is made to you, in relation to your previous academic experience. For more information, see: https://jobs.uclouvain.be.
Our HR policy supports equal opportunities and diversity within all categories of staff, including in the academic career. Attention is also paid to work-life balance.
Application deadline: November 15th, 2020
Relevant information concerning the recruitment policy at UCLouvain can be consulted at https://jobs.uclouvain.be.
Additional information regarding the position can be obtained from the Dean or the IPSY President at the following email address: PsychologyFacultyJob@uclouvain.be
Human sciences sector
Faculty in psychology and education (PSP) (https://uclouvain.be/fr/facultes/psp)
Psychological sciences research institute (IPSY) (https://uclouvain.be/fr/instituts-recherche/ipsy)