The research and development in acute medicine focus on six areas:
- Improving the understanding of sepsis, the inflammatory response of the organism following a microbial attack.
- The pulmonary embolism and new anticoagulants, particularly challenging in case of hemorrhage or in the perioperative period.
- Improving the perioperative management by analgesic techniques (neuromuscular blocking), by monitoring the coagulation and by teaching using simulations.
- The cardiovascular and hemodynamic failure by analyzing the endothelial dysfunction and myocardial depression during sepsis.
- A better pulmonary protection of critical patients, mainly those with acute respiratory distress syndrome, by analyzing the impact of oxygenation on bronchial cells.
- Assessment of the room left for innovative treatments in the case of rare acute intoxications threatening the patient's life.