The Excellence Scholarship Programme by the Research Institute in Mathematics and Physics (IRMP) is targeted for students with a diploma giving access to a Master Program in Sciences Mathématiques or Sciences Physiques at the Université catholique de Louvain.
The Excellence Scholarship consists of
- a €1.500 study grant awarded upon evaluation of the candidate's CV and paid at the time of enrollment in one of the above-mentioned Master programs;
- a €1.000 prize for a master thesis to be written under the supervision of an academic mentor or a tenured researcher at the IRMP.
Candidates will have fulfilled the general conditions needed to qualify for a Master 120 en Sciences Mathématiques or a Master 120 en Sciences Physiques at UCL before the deadline for submission of their application.
A good knowledge of French or English is highly desirable.
2. Selection of Scholarship awardees
The Selection Committee for scholarship is appointed by the IRMP council. It is composed by three of its permanent members. Members of the Committee may request to be replaced if unable to participate, in which case they shall inform the IRMP President in advance.
Scholarship awardees are selected upon evaluation of CV excellence and originality of the study project outlined in the personal statement.
A recommendation letter by an Academic will also be taken into account in the evaluation of the candidate.
The Committee's decision on the assignment of the Scholarship will be final and no appeal will be allowed.
The €1500 grant will be paid by 31 December of the award year. The grant will be awarded upon evidence of enrollment in the Master program, as stated in the application file.
The €1000 prize will be awarded upon completion of the Master's Degree, subject to the submission of a master thesis written under the supervision of an Academic or a tenured investigator at the IRMP.
Cumulation of the Scholarship with other awarded grants is allowed.
5. Calendar of selection procedures
The timetable of the 2020 selection procedure is the following:
- Deadline for submitting applications: 10 July 2020
- Communication of the outcome of the selection to all candidates: 31 July 2020
6. Application File
The Application File will include:
• A printed version of the online Application Form, to be filled in and signed by the applicant;
• A detailed Curriculum Vitae (in French or English);
• A Personal Statement;
• A copy of the Diploma and an official document certifying academic scores obtained in the previous three years (translated into French, English or Flemish, if necessary).
The application should be submitted, exclusively by email, to the IRMP President using the following address:
The recommendation letter by an Academic should also be sent directly, exclusively by email, to the IRMP President (email@example.com).
The applicant should make sure that the recommendation letter is sent before the deadline.
Files received after the above deadline will not be considered.