Living in Belgium


Accommodation [->]

UCLouvain Accommodation Office offers 5,725 university units (rooms in shared flats, studios, flats, and family apartments) on the Louvain-la-Neuve and Brussels Woluwe and Mons campuses, primarily...

Social security

Students other than grant-assisted PhD students do not pay Belgian social security contributions but do need to take action regarding reimbursement of healthcare costs (see ‘Healthcare’ section).

Budget/Cost of living

Naturally, planning a budget depends on specific situations. Generally speaking, a single person should plan on an annual budget of approximately €9,500. Families and shared households...

Health insurance

Students, researchers and lecturers who are citizens of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland must apply for the European Health Insurance Card. This card is free...

Getting around Belgium

Public transport

Income Taxes

Students and grant holders (PhD students and postdoctoral researchers) are not liable to tax as individuals unless they earn above a certain amount: see Only PhD...

Learning french

All students, researchers and lecturers can take advantage of language courses at the UCLouvain Language Institute (Institut des langues vivantes, ILV).