PhD application: required documents
Please consult our general and specific eligibility requirements before submitting your application.
Important: all applications for PhD admission must be preceded by a search for an adviser. A separate application dossier must be submitted to the relevant PhD committee. All information is available at Valo Doc Louvain and its enrolment procedures FAQ page.
General requirements for compiling the application files of ALL applicants
- A recent digital photograph.
- A recent certificate of nationality or a photocopy of your passport or of your national identity card.
- Copies of all diplomas* and related transcripts* and a certificate specifying the total number of course credits taken and the number of credits passed (if this grading system is in force at your home institution). The results of a failed year must be provided.
- A post-dated certificate for each period not covered by academic enrolment must be provided. No period in the five years prior to enrolment can be vacant:
- Various activities undertaken (e.g. work, unemployment, language training, travel). For example: employment certificate (not an employment contract) from your employer, a social security organisation certificate, training course enrolment certificate, medical certificate, etc., with dates covering the period of activities.
- A detailed curriculum vitae, dated and signed.
- A letter of motivation specifying the elements of your education in relation to the subject of the chosen advanced master course (dissertation subject, internship, publications, seminars, etc.).
- A summary of your thesis project.
- If you attended a higher education institution of the French-speaking Community of Belgium (university, haute école, etc.) from the 2016–17 academic year: a certificate of absence of debts issued by the institution.
* If you do not yet have these documents, you can already send us all other requested documents.
All original documents written in a language other than French, Dutch, English, German, Italian, Spanish or Portuguese must be accompanied by a translation prepared by a sworn translator.
An acknowledgement of receipt will be sent to you as soon as we receive your application. You will then be able to follow its progress via your online account. Please note that it may take several weeks to process your application.
No action will be taken concerning an incomplete application or an application submitted after the 15 calendar-day deadline. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
Please note: at the time of enrolment, presentation of all original and certified copy documents may be required.
Special requirements for candidates with non-EU nationality.
The criteria for acquiring Belgian student status are available on our website. If you qualify, you will have to provide the corresponding proof of such status in addition to your application. Such status allows a candidate to pay the same registration fees as a Belgian student.