In the event of the divergence between the different linguistic versions of the present informations, the French version shall prevail.
In accordance with Article 113, §1st of the Decree of 7 November 2013, anyone not demonstrating sufficient French language proficiency will not be admitted to the end-of-year tests for a master with a teaching focus or for certification of higher secondary education. The student must in fact be able to express himself effectively in the assignments and examinations included in the study programme and, more particularly, during the internships that he will be expected to take in a secondary education establishment.
This proof may be provided, either:
- by the possession of a diploma or certificate mentioned in article 107, paragraph 1, 1 °, 2 °, 4 ° and 8 °;
- the successful completion of a specific exam organized for this purpose by the academic authorities in accordance with the provisions of the Government;
- by the possession of the certificate mentioned in Article 107, paragraph 1, 5 °, when it is issued by a jury of the French Community;
- by the attestation of success of other tests of mastery of the French language in the list is stopped by the Government;
- by possessing a foreign diploma, title or certificate certifying studies that include sufficient French language instruction; the Government sets the minimum conditions that must be met by these studies.
- by possessing a higher education diploma awarded in the French Community and certifying studies whose access is conditional on proof of sufficient command of the French language.
The French Language Proficiency examination for the academic year 2018–2019 will be held at the UCLouvain on the following dates:
|september, 20 2019||AT 9.00am - AUDITORIUM MONT01|
|october, 18 2019||AT 2.00pm - AUDITORIUM MONT03|
This examination may be sat twice during one academic year.
This examination may be sat twice during one academic year. Registration procedures must be done, at the latest,one week before the chosen date.
Students enrolling for a second time for this examination will be required to complete all the formalities (enrolment and payment).
You can download (FR) the enrolment form for the French Language Proficiency examination
The examination is designed to ascertain whether the student is in fact able to express himself effectively in the assignments and examinations included in the study programme and, more particularly, during the internships that he will be expected to take in a secondary education establishment.
The examination has two components:
- A written test: based on an oral presentation (approximately a quarter of an hour) or a text (of 2 to 3 pages maximum) on a general subject, the student prepares a summary (about twenty lines);
- an oral test: a conversation on the subject of the written test is designed to ascertain the student’s understanding of the substance of the original text and assess their aptitude as regards spoken communication.
A pass is awarded if the student can demonstrate proficiency in the French language in his oral and written tests at a level equivalent to level C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages published by the European Council (Decree of the Government of the French Community of 28 October 2010 on French language proficiency in higher education exams).
However, for admission to the end-of-year tests for a Master’s degree with teaching focus or for teacher training for higher secondary education in modern languages and literature, a pass is awarded if the student can demonstrate proficiency equivalent to level B2 of the same reference framework.