Welcome to international students!


International students who have been granted an enrolment authorisation will find helpful settling-in information on this page. We hope your preparations go smoothly and wish you a pleasant journey.



The enrolment authorisation allows you to obtain a visa from the local Belgian embassy or consulate. Please note that the visa application procedure takes time. For more information consult the Immigration Office official website.


Bank guarantee deposit

Information about the bank guarantee deposit can be found on the following page.



The enrolment authorisation you just received is the first enrolment step. Now you must confirm your enrolment by sending this document back to us signed and dated. Only after we receive this document (and other documents, if requested) will your enrolment be finalised. We recommend that you bring all your original diplomas and transcripts to Belgium. Students of a nationality outside the EU must begin the enrolment process after obtaining their visa. For enrolment questions, please consult https://uclouvain.be/en/study/inscriptions.


Academic year start and calendar

The academic year begins in mid-September (the only time students can begin their programme; more information). Classes are spread over two terms (from September to December and from February to May) and there are three examination sessions, in January, June and August.


How to find accommodation ?

UCLouvain offers students a large selection of furnished accommodation. Many students live in shared flats (with their own room and a communal kitchen, living room and bathroom). Rooms in theme-based accommodation (“kots-à-projet”), as well as apartments and studios, are also available. If you would like to live in UCLouvain accommodation, go to www.uclouvain.be/accommodation. A list of private accommodation is also available on the various university campuses.


Is health insurance required?

In Belgium, all students must be covered by health insurance. If you are a citizen of the European Union (or of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland), apply for a European Health Insurance Card. This card is free and will give you the same access to health care as Belgians. If you are not a European Union citizen, join a mutual insurance company as soon as you arrive in order to obtain compulsory and complementary insurance (from €100 to €120/year). This will ensure the reimbursement (partial or total, depending on the type of service) of your medical care and the purchase of certain medicines. You can choose any mutual insurance company: there are among other socialist, Christian, liberal and neutral mutual insurance companies. There is also supplementary health care insurance, which is not compulsory, entails an additional cost, and covers all or some of the costs not reimbursed by mutual insurance companies.


Who is required to undergo a medical exam?

Any student from a country with a high prevalence of tuberculosis, or who is enrolling at UCLouvain for the first time. The medical exam is free of charge. After your arrival, you will be summoned for the exam by the university health service. This is an opportunity to meet a health care provider in Belgium.


What does university education cost in Belgium?

UCLouvain is a private university but is subsidised by the government of the French Community of Belgium. Tuition fees vary depending on the student’s situation and are subject to annual review. Visit our website frequently for the latest information. Tuition fees may be reduced depending on your personal situation. It is necessary to plan a budget for course materials (syllabus, books, etc.) and to have a computer.


After enrolling at the university, is it compulsory to register with the municipal administration?

Yes, this is essential. To do so, report within one week of your arrival in Belgium to the municipal administration (“Administration Communale”) where you reside with the following documents: passport, visa, two recent colour ID photos with white background, enrolment authorisation, academic enrolment certificate, scholarship letter or financial support certificate (Annex 32) and accommodation lease. 


If you have any questions about your arrival in Belgium, you can find more information in the International Welcome Guide.