Are you looking for the perfect word or phrase?
Well, you’ve come to the right place! Here we have:
Online dictionaries that will help you choose the exact word you're looking for:
- Reverso for FR-EN-FR translations and examples of words in context
- Linguee for FR-EN-FR translations and words in context from a large European corpus (beware of Franglais in .eu or .ca sources)
- Cambridge Dictionary for EN-EN definitions, synonyms and examples, and grammar, as well as pronunciation or EN-FR-EN translations
- Ozdic Collocation Dictionary for finding which words are often used together
- The Visual Dictionary to find common terms in biology, anatomy, transport, music and clothing, based on pictures and schematics
Academic glossaries for words and expressions commonly used in a university setting:
- If you want a list of academic terms used in the United States, check out the academic glossary compiled by the US Department of State.
- If you are curious about university terminology in the United Kingdom, consult this academic glossary from Oxford University.
This academic glossary (xls file) compiled by UCLouvain English coaches will help you find the right term or phrase whether you’re
- talking about statistical data
- describing features
- referencing in texts and presentations
- presenting results
- providing feedback
- looking for a useful adverb or connector
- trying to avoid a false friend
The official UCLouvain glossary
Check out the UCLouvain and KULeuven common database for university terminology. It is constantly updated, and if you're looking for a term that isn't there, make a suggestion.