Stephan Van den Broucke is Professor at the Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences and the Psychological Sciences Research Institute of the Université Catholique de Louvain. He formerly held the positions of senior expert at the Flemish Institute for Health Promotion (Belgium), project officer at the Executive Agency for Health and Consumers of the European Commission, and Associate Professor at the Department of International Health of Maastricht University (Netherlands). His main research and teaching interest include health psychology, preventive health behavior change, health promotion planning and evaluation, self-management education for chronic disease, health literacy, and public health capacity building. In addition to research in Belgium, Stephan participated as a principal investigator in several large scale international projects, including the European Health Literacy Survey (HLS-EU), Reviewing Public Health Capacities in Europe, Action-For-Health, and IC-Health, and coordinated the EU Diabetes Literacy project. He is an Executive Board Member of the International Union for Health Promotion and Education (UHPE), Advisory Board Member of the Asian Health Literacy Association, and President of the Well Done Health Literacy Awards. He is an associate editor of Health Promotion International and editorial board member of Archives of Public Health and Journal of Public Health Research, and has served as an evaluator for research proposals submitted to FNRS (Belgium), ZON-MW (Netherlands), the German Federal Ministry of Research, the Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia (Portugal), the Israel Science Foundation, the Hong Kong Healthcare and Promotion Fund, and the Kuwait Research Foundation. Stephan regularly serves as an adviser for the European Commission and the World Health Organization.
- Van den Broucke, S. (2017). Strengthening public health capacity through a health promotion lens. Health Promotion International, 32(5), 763-767.
- Vandenbosch, J., Van den Broucke, S., Vancorenland, S., Avalosse, H., Verniest, R., & Callens, M. (2016). Health literacy and the use of healthcare services in Belgium. J Epidemiol Community Health, 70(10), 1032-1038.
- Van den Broucke, S. (2014). Health literacy: a critical concept for public health. Archives of Public Health, 72(1), 10.
- Van den Broucke, S., Van der Zanden, G., Chang, P., Doyle, G., Levin, D., Pelikan, J., ... & Riemenschneider, H. (2014). Enhancing the effectiveness of diabetes self-management education: the diabetes literacy project. Hormone and Metabolic Research, 46(13), 933-938.
- Sørensen, K., Van den Broucke, S., Fullam, J., Doyle, G., Pelikan, J., Slonska, Z., & Brand, H. (2012). Health literacy and public health: a systematic review and integration of definitions and models. BMC public health, 12(1), 80.
- Van Daele, T., Van Audenhove, C., Hermans, D., Van den Bergh, O., & Van den Broucke, S. (2012). Empowerment implementation: enhancing fidelity and adaptation in a psycho-educational intervention. Health promotion international, 29(2), 212-222.